Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know how many other LFers get to take their dogs to work?
Alfie and Dolly have been coming into the office whenever I work (luckily it's our company)so no issues.

They've been pretty good actually. Alfie's been going in on and off since he was a pup so it's old hat to him really, though occasionally he'll bark when someone enters the office...in fact the Postie is a dog hater and won't come in now :roll:

Dolly is getting better but will still jump up to people (still working on that one) it's hard though when they say 'it doesn't matter' :roll:

The other issue I have with her is that she is very, very reluctant to wee or poop when we are there. It doesn't matter how many times I take her out she generally won't go. She managed to do both the other day, but in order for her to do so I had to take her on a 30 min muddy walk. I gave her lots of praise too. Today though, she peed in the office?

They are played with in the office, and have chews and hooves and whatnot to occupy them....and sleep like babies in the evening :D

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think they learn quite quickly at work that when you say jump, they have to (not literally). Im more of a pushover at home and Henry can kick the cat flap which is his sign for going out into the garden but not really want to go for a wee but he will do it while I'm cooking or doing housework, just to keep me on my toes, but at work he will only ask to go out if he really needs to and when we arrive in the morning, he will do one or 2 on demand :D
He kind of knows we have to behave at work and if we have visitors he will go straight in his cage when told (which he wouldn't do at home) and he knows when he is allowed to say hello to someone.
Today i had to work over because Scott was seeing clients. First 2 electricians came to survey some work that needed doing so i had to tell him to go in his cage and he did. They went so he came out. The doorbell went and it was of the lovely people from the adult learning centre next door who likes to come and have a cup of tea. He is autistic and a bit wary of Henry so i had to put him away again just till Mark had settled down, then he came back out and just sat calmly by him, which once again he wouldn't do at home. I think they just learn that when you are at work, they have to behave, otherwise they get sacked 8O

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Helen. We currently have 2 dog beds in the office which I bought last week. At least I can now say 'on your bed' when necessary. I really hadn't thought about a crate; I do have a spare in the loft so if the bed business doesn't work out I have another option.

I always walk the dogs for 20-30 mins before going to the office so I know they've done all their business before we get there, so I can relax for the morning period. It's the afternoon that's posing a problem for Dolly. When I worked in the shop she was crated from 8.20am until 1.10pm x 3 days per week... yes it's 5 hours but she's always slept so it was never an issue and within 1/2 hour of me being home she'd
do her business. I have no idea why but she's always pooped in the afternoon. Afie goes twice can day and Dolly has always gone three times :roll:

I think we're back in the office tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
Not the same thing at all, working in large engineering factory it's not really possible but when Katy went Diabetic and needed to visit the vet first thing in the morning until her condition stabilised, when I was covering the early shift I used to take her to work with me at 6am. I could then slip her into the vets when they opened at 8am and take her home before the day started to get busy. And if ever I needed to go in in the middle of the night, which did happen occasionally Katy and later Beth used to go with me. (The directors sleep at night so there was only the night shift there and Beth would help them with their sandwiches whilst I sorted out whatever problem had dragged me out of bed.)

Regards, John

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I get lots of requests to take mine to work and I do when just the adults are around, in my case the saying is 'never work with children AND animals' :lol:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I can't take mine to work as I am out and about plus it is against work policy.

Many workplaces are suitable for folk to take dogs to work even if majority of employers forbid it. I guess the issue for many employers is standards of dog behaviour and control vary so widely plus some dogs may fight one another, need to be crated/kenneled & then there is fire evacuation to consider, plus health and safety and liability of injuries ......not to mention distraction from work factors.

To Scatty and any other owners who may have own businesses or perhaps are just the boss.............I would be interested to know if you let ( or would let) , all staff take their dogs to work and whether you would allow this if you employed lots of dog owners ??

Knowing the variations between dogs and owners I think i might be reluctant to permit this despite my appreciation of dogs and owner/ dog needs.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Colleagues keep asking me to bring Cooper to work, but my office is near the big bosses and one of them really doesn't like dog (especially not in the office). I've seen other people bring their dogs in, a pug, a chihuahua, but don't think I've seen a big dog. I'd worry that it's a long day for Cooper and there's no where around the office to go for a proper walk. Perhaps when he's older and a bit more reliable...

My dream is to find a new job in a smaller office where I can bring him with me. Anyone hiring? :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Alfie an Dolly go workin
No income tax or NI
Just collect their little pay packets
Then creep off oh so sly
Dogman dont care
He dont know there there

Sorry Jo, could not resist (sing this to "Frankie and Jonnie were lovers") please forgive my silly sense of humour :wink: :lol:

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Casodil said:
Alfie an Dolly go workin
No income tax or NI
Just collect their little pay packets
Then creep off oh so sly
Dogman dont care
He dont know there there

Sorry Jo, could not resist (sing this to "Frankie and Jonnie were lovers") please forgive my silly sense of humour :wink: :lol:

Chel and Dilys xxx
Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coaster, in answer to your question, we are lucky in as much as there are currently only 2 other employees and neither have dogs of their own. Whether or not in the future we have a member of staff wanting to bring a dog in ....we'd have to think about it. We'd have to take into account the size of the office for one.

I honestly think (now I'm writing about it) that it would be a no go. I think the odd visit would be OK but not day in day out. Even our pups generally only go in when I'm working. Hubby is often out on site so he can't take them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts