Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an unusual incident yesterday morning. As I walked down the footpath to the field in the semi-darkness of morning I heard a shout but thought nothing of it. Entered the field, dogs off-lead, started walking along footpath. Man at the gate behind started shouting excitedly causing my two to run back in that direction... I was concerned so ran back to be closer. He's shouting a name so I ask if he's lost his dog - yes, seemingly a black labrador called Ellie, he thinks someone has taken her - he is shouting very frustratingly and crossly making me wonder how he expects the dog to recall to him! He enters the field, my 2 are very excitedly darting around, I'm telling them to come with me, but he keeps shouting with an increasingly frustrated tone which confuses them and concerns me! I tell him we'll keep a look out for her. He keeps coming along and I realise that he's reaching out to try and grab Luna!!! Cue frightened/protective me launching into a sprint and as I run back to clout him one I suddenly realise/assume that he thinks he's trying to catch his missing dog! So I shout 'she's mine!' He looks at her, obviously realises its not his dog and stands up, turns around and walks off. I ensure both dogs are close with me and head off apace away from the area. I kept them very close for the rest of the walk... a bit spooked and unsure... no wonder he was frustrated (I appeared to be walking off and taking his dog I guess) but the whole incident just felt strange!! But then I don't know any black lab in this area called Ellie either... I've kept an eye out locally and online for any appropriate lost dogs but nothing.

The whole experience has made me a bit jumpy and I guess it's just reminded me one way or another how easily dogs can be lost, taken or snatched!!!

So take care out there!!

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been replaying it a couple of days now and I'm just grateful that we were all ok, together and unharmed after it.

Luna and Tucks will feel much better after a bounce around with Bonnie and Ellie at xmas and a fuss from you (hopefully and fingers crossed!) xxx

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
That's very worrying. I would be a bit shaken up if that had happened to me.
A man once grabbed hold of my son when we were out shopping. He thought he was his grandson cos they had the same coloured coat. My son screamed blue murder and frightened him to death. He was very apologetic over it all.
It seems a bit suspect if he didn't apologise. Normally you would expect a sorry and get details of how to contact him if you found his dog.
Glad Luna and Tucker are ok.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I got scared just reading your story!!

I think it must be the season or perhaps it's just that days are so short there's a weird atmosphere out there. Cooper and I had a scare at 4:15pm in the park the other day (it's been a few days of antisocial dogs and people and some seriously dodgy ones) and I've decided to avoid parks in late afternoon for a little while!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
OMG!!! How scary!! 8O 8O
Are you sure he was looking for his dog? He wasn't trying to take Luna and saying he'd lost his dog so you let your guard down? It's a bit suss that he didn't give you any details of how to contact him if you found his dog.
Alarm bells keep ringing for me over this!! Maybe a courtesy call to the police on 101 just in case they have had other reports in that area?
Stay safe our lovely friends!!!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
That would have really frightened me as well. Thank goodness you and the dogs are okay.

Trying to look on the positive, if he had a chance and didn't grab Luna and hesitated to look at her when you shouted she is mine hopefully he was just panic stricken and not thinking straight. If he was about to steal her he wouldn't hesitate because he already knew she was yours. He could have been walking someone else's dog for them and lost it. That would explain not recognising Luna to start with.
I agree with Karen a phone call to the Police won't hurt just incase this man is a dog snatcher but for your own peace of mind try not to worry he is probably just a frantic man that forgot his manners in the heat of the moment and in desperation handled the situation badly. If he genuinely thought you were taking his dog he would act rudely and must have been very embarrassed/ashamed of his behaviour afterwards plus extremely eager to keep searching.

Amanda

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oh that would have shaken me up for sure.. :(

Glad you're okay as are Luna and Tucks !

I did walk a few months back with a complete weirdo he just followed me and then caught up started talking away, while I was trying to work out how fast I could run and if I could indeed get over the ditch and into the field that backs onto a garden of someone I know if needed to, it was a rather intense 20 mins I must say, Thor of course thought it was wonderful because someone was making a fuss over him !! He then went his own way while I went another way, probably completely harmless but a very odd man !

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Very scarey for you. The Simple fact is Either he was looking for his own lost dog Or he was trying to snatch yours. If the former he was as scared as you were thinking you were pinching his dog but if the latter I would walk elsewhere for a while. Glad you are ok

·
Registered
714 Posts
There has been reports of dogs being snatched nearby to us (just over the border in Lincolnshire) so I guess not too far from you either.

I think you were right to be concerned and am so glad you're all OK. Even when very stressed it's unlikely you'd mistake someone else's dog as your own.

I'd avoid that area for a while, sound suspicious to me.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
It rings alarm bells to me, this guy may not even have a black lab, he may be a chancer who has noticed your routine! A very scary thought indeed! A reminder to everyone out walking their dogs.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
A bit unnerving Laura. There seems to be a number of dog thefts recently. We all need to be very careful. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I was going to question the same that has already been mentioned, whether he did indeed loose his dog or if he was attempting to snatch one. People seem to be using all sorts of sneaky tricks these days to pinch dogs. It must have been very worrying for you, I would have been panicking like hell. Glad you are all ok and Luna and Tucker are safe.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The recent incidents I have heard about were in Kirton Lindsay and Navenby, Erin. I always hope things have been exaggerated but worth being aware to the possibility.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
That's where I've just returned from, my parents live in Navenby and I take my dogs with me a lot when I visit them. I will have to be vigilant when I take them for a walk.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have still heard or seen nothing else relating to a lost dog... have just contacted local police via email so at least they can log it as strange if nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't have many dealings with the local police but whenever I do they are sooo good! I've had a reassuring phone call from a local PC this evening (he'd called around but I wasn't in). Without going into too much detail but to reassure you as well as me the police think from the description that it is someone who lives locally, someone who isn't a threat but who can behave in confusing ways... my description of the incident immediately made them consider the individual. They'll be following up further, I may be contacted again, I may not.

I have been told to contact 999 without hesitating if I ever feel threatened or in fear and call 101 or PC's mobile or email again if anything relating occurs.

Well done Notts Local Policing! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts