Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sydney pup is 9 weeks old tomorrow and has been sick twice today - both times approx 1 - 1 1/2 hours after eating and bringing up a slightly more slimy version of his food.

The first time was this morning I assumed it was a one off so gave him his lunchtime meal as usual to see if he would eat it and he did. At tea time he ate well (probably a little more enthusiastically that he has been) but again brought some of it back up a short while later.

I am a little worried as he is so teeny. He seems ok in himself and is drinking but i am not sure what to do about his 4th meal which is due at about 10pm and the scrambled egg he has been having when going to bed (on the advice of the breeder and he loves it).

Should i feed him as normal and see how he goes or skip the meal and just give him the egg (maybe a little more than usual).

He is not the best eater - i am having to encourage him to eat his meals by 'fighting' him for it - moving my hand around his bowl whilst he is eating and tapping the bowl to encourage him back to it (he is on Beta puppy) but he is growing and happily takes kibble as treats.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Sorry no advice Leanne, but when Milo was ill when he was a pup we'd give him something light like scrambled egg? ...but I guess if he is still poorly tomorrow Id take him to the vets....is he drinking?...get well soon Sydney x

·
Registered
415 Posts
Winston was ill at a similar age, being a worry wart and a first time puppy owner I rushed him off to the vets! The vet told me to feed him as normal because he was so young and he prescribed some antibiotics. I would therefore say feed him as normal, but I am no expert!
Get well soon Sydney

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Indy is a bit of a random vomiter - in fact she's been sick today :roll:

I'd say if he seems himself, is playing etc normally, doesn't seem to be in any pain, is drinking plenty of water then give him his egg as usual and see how he is in the morning. If he's vomited overnight or vomits again in the morning (or otherwise concerns you!) get him to the vet.

When Indy has a sickness episode, I can usually trace it back to her eating something from the garden :roll: or one of her episodes was from her first apple which disagreed with her. Because she's only ever been sick once each time, has been well in herself, has drunk as normal, has continued eating as normal and has had normal poos, I've never been worried about it. If it were to increase in frequency and/or there were other symptoms associated with it, then I'd be concerned. Hth.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Hope the poor wee mite is better soon :( I was told a long time ago to feed weetabix and semi skimmed milk, this was when Roly and Twix were young ie 13 years ago, but I tell it worked and I tried it on Cori after trying scrambled egg and rice and chicken did not work :?

I would give the vet a phone though to see what they say and it wont cost you anything, even just to put your mind at rest :?

Hope the wee mite it better soon :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi I agree with all the really good advice. If he is acting his normal self then I would agree with everyone and sat give him the egg. If he isn't drinking then don't worry; a dog will not eat if they are not properly hydrated, therefore if he is eating then he has had enough to drink.
The first few weeks we had Angel she had an upset stomach regularly and it is a worry, but like everyone has said, if he is sick again or is not acting his normal self either take him down the vets or just ring them for advice / reassurance.

Hope he is ok soon!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your advice, Sydney is currently fast asleep at my feet but i think i will do as you say and try him with his last meal. Fingers crossedhe keeps this one down x

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Oh the poor little baby. I'd get vet advice tomorrow if he's acting normally. If he's lethargic or off colour now, I'd ring the vet hospital/out of hours vet for advice.

The number for our ER is 01925 631212. They are based in Warrington. They have always been very helpful on the phone, and I have never needed to take any of the girls there.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Shirley, he is usually pretty sleepy at this time so I'll wake him up for his food and see how he is, they are such a worry x

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sydney is definitely not lethargic - he is roughousing with Pud as i type! I tried him with his 4th kibble meal and he turned his nose up at it so had some scrambled egg which he wolfed down. He usually has a scrambled egg in addition to his 4 kibble meals each night so i will give him that as well as usual.

He has also had some kibble as treats and accepted those so I'm much less worried.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
leapudding said:
which he wolfed down.
That MIGHT be your problem, it sounds like he is bringing up undigested food, which could be that he is simply eating too fast, and you need to find a way of slowing him down. (Hally used to be a monkey for this, but she eats much more slowly these days, but think that is more to do with winding Clover up than to prevent her being sick :roll: )

Obviously, if you have any concerns, then contact your vet, although I am guessing by the lack of posts, things might be back to normal?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Oh no!!! Not my little Sydney Pup!!!
Hope he's feeling better now!
Will call you later, I have some more info on the stairgate stuff
x

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for your concern, no more sick since my last post.

Up until New Years day night he had needed a little encouragement with eating (except scrambled egg which he loves) and ate quite slowly so neither of the meals he threw back up had been wolfed down like the scrambled egg :D

He kept down his eggs and was ravenous all day yesterday. I had been giving him about half the recommended amount of food at each meal because he was leaving so much of it but yesterday added a little more. I was reluctant to add too much following his vomitting the day before so have upped it again today.

Sorry for the lack of update yesterday i was back in work and came home to crazy whirlwind pup who didnt stop to sleep until after 10pm! :D :D

·
Registered
628 Posts
Glad Sydney is better. Jasmine was sick yesterday and I was initially worried about her until she decided to try and eat it while I was looking for the dustpan and brush 8O the dirty savage!! Anyway she was fine as soon as she had been sick and was running round the house like a loon within seconds :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts