Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm wondering if it is normal for Labs to breathe from the mouth while swimming (actually only while retrieving) and get some water into the airway?

It doesn't seem to slow Jazz down much, but she sometimes coughs a couple times when she reaches shore. :?

Thanks,

BKB

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi BKB

Its perfectly normal for all dogs to breathe through their mouth when they are swimming - although its more probable that she is breathing through her nose although because she is dipping her head down to collect the toy water will go into her mouth and cause her to swallow it - which in turn will make her cough when she gets out.

If you think that she has swallowed loads of water, rub her chest - this will get the air flowing, cause her to cough and all will be well again!

Hope that makes sense?

Sarah

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Charlie,

Going out to fetch she is breating from the nose and no detectable breathing sound. Coming back there is almost a gargle exhale snort on nearly every breath. She doesn't slow down any and coughs (sometimes while returning) and sometimes at shore. I don't think it is much water, just wondering if it is something she will learn to avoid. :? :)

Thanks again,

BKB

I'm going to post a couple pictures of her swimming in the Chocolate Labs - Jazz Brown album.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts