Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On his walk this afternoon, it seems Sammy has swallowed a ball. It was one of those soft plastic squeaky ones (with the squeaker removed) that he plays with all the time. I told OH to call the vet which he did, and they said to take him down and they would try to make him sick.

I rushed home from work, and met them at the vet - they were waiting for me to pick them up. After talking to the vet, apparently they said that as it was a ball he wouldn't bring it up (they didn't try). They want us to take him back in the morning for exploratory surgery under general anaesthetic. Does this seem right? Is that what others would expect? I just don't know if the vet is seeing '£' signs flashing in front of their eyes when another method would suffice. If it's necessary then I have absolutely no problem going ahead with the procedure, but wanted to find out what you think.

I am feeling ill with worry that it's going to cause a blockage, or that he's going to be sick in the night and choke when trying to vomit it up (so I'm going to sleep downstairs tonight with him).

Thanks for listening, and any advice.

Mel

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Oh no, poor Sammy.

I've no exerience to draw on, but what the vet is saying sounds right to me.

Hope both he and you are ok overnight {hugs}

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Do you think he swallowed it whole?, if he chewed then ate it it should pass through though may cause him some problems on its way so you`d need to keep a close eye on him.

I would have thought they would have tried to make him bring it back, though they may think it could cause him to choke if its still in one piece.

Hard one really, never had a dog swallow a ball thankfully, hope Sammy is ok and doesn`t have any problems with his unplanned meal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it probably is whole, but possibly not round. He chews these type of balls like chewing gum, squashing all the air out of them so sometimes they are flat in a kind of half moon shape if you know what I mean.

The thing he's most concerned with at the moment is why Mum and Dad aren't giving him his dinner...

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Poor Sammy :grouphuuug:

Not that I am a vet, but if he did swallow it whole then even if it's a bit squashed, I would imagine it's not the easiest thing to get him to bring back up? It's not like food is it. So hopefully they are wanting to act soon to get it out and avoid it causing any problems as he tries to move it through?

Please let us know how he gets on.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hello and commiserations from another owner with a ball swallowing dog.
Cocoa has eaten solid lumps of rubber balls and has had surgery twice now.
On the first occasion, we knew he had eaten it and took him to the vet next morning when it hadn't reappeared from either end. The last time, we didn't know he'd eaten it and only knew something was wrong when he started being sick and became poorly quite quickly.
It is very likely if he has eaten a whole ball that it could block his intestines, although if it is squashed, it MIGHT just come out the other end. Our vet did an x-ray before he decided on surgery to see if there was anything stuck.
He recovered from surgery incredibly quickly - the hardest bit was trying to keep him quiet for 10 days. Try not to worry too much (I know this is easier said than done) It is better for the vet to remove the ball if it is in his stomach than to risk it passing into the intestine.

I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow - please keep us posted.
Will try to attach a picture of Cocoa who is now the picture of good health!

On the beach in Wales August 2009

·
Registered
426 Posts
OMG!! poor old Sammy - partic after doing his Olympic best at the weekend!!

my greatest thoughts go to you - and I hope he is OK overnight and then into (what sounds like) innevitable surgery.....

big hugs

g

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi Basil has also eaten one of the flimsy squeaker balls and managed to avoid surgery.

He swallowed it whole too - a child held out a treat and sooner than put the ball down he swallowed both.He had flattened it in a half moon like you describe.

I took him in for emergency x-rays as I was worried it would be inflated inside him and if he tried to be sick would choke. Within about 4 or 5 hours his stomach juices had broken it down into 2 pieces so the vet agreed to wait and see.
21 days of poo watch and no ball. We did the 2nd round of x-rays and could see it had borken down into 5 or 6 pieces and was well along his intestine with some pieces due to appear soon.
So almost 30days later in total it all passed normally without the need for surgery.

I have to say this was overseas, my vet was very anti surgery for healhy dogs that were running, eating and toiletting fine - which Basi lwas throughout. I think if he'd done this in the UK the vet would have opened him up in the first instance.

The other option our vet gaves us initally was an endoscopy (i think thats the name) ie a tube and tool down the throat so no incision or wound. He said he would have to deflate the ball and then use the tool to attempt to bring it up his throat - but then the x ray showed it in 2 pieces so we lft it.

Hope tomorrow goes well - personally knowing how flimsy they are i'd at least want to see an xray before an op.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Silly Sammy!!

Trust a lab to be wondering where their food is! :roll:

I hope he's doing ok at the moment and he enjoys having company on the sofa tonight.

I haven't any experience of ball swallowing but I do think that I'd expect the vet to take an xray first just to check what is going on inside before opening up otherwise how would they know where it has settled?? And I'd imagine there's always the chance no ball was eaten (unless your OH actually saw it of course!). Luna popped a great big plastic ball once while I was in shower, I had a sudden panic when I realised that a massive piece of the jigsaw that was now the ball was missing, I was on the way to the phone for vet when I discovered the little minx had probably paraded into the bathroom to show me what she had done and then buried the missing piece under a towel :roll: Relief!

Fingers crossed for an easy solution for Sammy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, I will certainly bring up the subject of an x-ray in the morning at the vets, we have to take him in at 8:10. So far, so good tonight, he has stopped looking for his food and has settled down to sleep - doesn't seem to be experiencing any discomfort at the moment.

Definitely silly Sammy.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Any news yet?

I have been thinking of poor Sammy. I really hope that he doesn't have to have surgery.

Cyber hugs to Sammy from me & dog kisses from the chocolate loons!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
George ate a ball a couple of months ago but luckily he brought it up later in several parts, I kept all the parts and rebuilt it to make sure he had brought it all up which he had.

Fingers crossed for Sammy

Lorna

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Annette. We dropped him at the vets this morning and they said we can call at 2pm if they haven't called us before then. They said they would only do an x-ray if there was any chance that the ball wasn't in there - so surgery is inevitable :(

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Poor Sammy. Hope he makes a speedy recovery after his surgery - lots of get well vibes from us.

Probably best they get it out asap, then at least you will know it's not in there anymore and not causing any potential problems with blockages. A lab of a friend of mine ate some of a teatowel and after a week of bringing bits up and trying to poop it out, he finally had to be taken in for surgery as it had blocked him and he was going downhill rapidly. He was fine and recovered in no time and he was 10 at the time.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Poor Sammy :( fingers crossed that he won't need an op x

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just had a call from the vet. He's out of surgery, and is coming around from the anaesthetic now. They got the ball out, it was still in his stomach. They have stapled him up, have him on intravenous antibiotics at the moment and are keeping him in overnight for observation and to ensure there's no infection.

I can call back later for an update, and to make sure he's happy and settled there - although I know he will be because he loves the vet who did the op, and all the nurses and reception ladies.

Hopefully we can bring him home tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for your messages.

Mel

A

·
0 Posts
Glad it all went well and they removed the offending article!

Labs, who'd have 'em! Hope he's home with you soon.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts