1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ramsay- Chocolate Labrador
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Hope you are all well
Just after abit of advice really. Ramsay is 5 months old now. Yesterday morning he was absolutely fine went for a walk like normal we gave him a bath ( where he drank some of the water before we shampooed him). About an hour after his bath he started heaving but nothing was coming up. We thought it was because he’d lapped up the bath water and maybe it had some of his hairs in and had irritated him abit. He was fine in himself and eating fine. Then we took him into the garden and he threw up little pools of clear liquid. He again was fine wanted to play like his normal self. He had his dinner like normal and all was fine. Hasn’t gone off his food. And then about 9:30 last night he was heaving again and making a horrible honking noise with it. I did abit of googling and all that kept ringing true was kennel cough. He was up about every two hours in the night just hacking away. This morning he was fine again he’s toilets are fine, he’s eaten all his breakfast and is acting his usual self. We haven’t taken him for a walk as obviously with kennel cough we know it’s highly infectious. He has only coughed up once so far and again it was clear liquid. Should I call the vets or should I see how he goes? I’ve read about honey too which honey is good for them and how much should I give him?
Thankyou in advance

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
Normally for Kennel Cough I'll start off by giving a little "Benylin Original" human cough medicine. But if it does not improve in a couple of days then it's a vet job.

But at just 5 months old I would not go down the home cure route. He does not have the inner strength to throw it off yet, so I think the vet for this one.

But the problem with KC is, like human flu, there are so many strains so although a dog might be vaccinated for KC that does not mean that he cannot catch one of the strains not covered. Quite frankly, the vaccine does not seem very effective.

But with any dog, be aware if you decide to home treat, that KC is not the only reason for a dog coughing. a heavy worm burden can cause it, and even more serious, a heart problem, which is the reason why I stress that if it does not clear up quickly to consult your vet.

·
Registered
Ramsay- Chocolate Labrador
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally for Kennel Cough I'll start off by giving a little "Benylin Original" human cough medicine. But if it does not improve in a couple of days then it's a vet job.

But at just 5 months old I would not go down the home cure route. He does not have the inner strength to throw it off yet, so I think the vet for this one.

But the problem with KC is, like human flu, there are so many strains so although a dog might be vaccinated for KC that does not mean that he cannot catch one of the strains not covered. Quite frankly, the vaccine does not seem very effective.

But with any dog, be aware if you decide to home treat, that KC is not the only reason for a dog coughing. a heavy worm burden can cause it, and even more serious, a heart problem, which is the reason why I stress that if it does not clear up quickly to consult your vet.
Thankyou so much for your response. I’m going to call the vet tomorrow as he is fine in himself and eating normally and drinking normally. It’s just the cough he has with the occasional spit up. Yeah I was concerned at only 5 months it might be too much for his little body to take bless him.
we think he’s definitely picked it up from his walks as that’s the only time he’s been around other dogs.
Thanks for the heads up on the vaccine too. You hear people say about giving them this and that but really could the vaccine bring more complications you just don’t know
Thank you again x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts