Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of putting sun cream on white cats, especially their ears, but as we've had a boiling hot day today I've been worrying about my choc Lab. The problem is she had a good old playfight with our other two yesterday resulting in some loss of the "scale" type skin on her nose and whilst I'm sure the scrape will heal itself I'm worried about her getting sunburnt on the fresh skin underneath in the meantime -if- this hot weather keeps up. I've kept her out the sun today, but am I being paranoid? Can I use human suntan cream on her? Is there a dog friendly version?

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
It should not be needed for a Labrador. Possibly the worst affected is the Mexican Hairless, for the obvious reason. One thing you can do is make or buy a toweling jacket. Soaked in cold water they are great for dogs!

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
JOhn... Can normal towels do....soak in cold water and and run on their coat.... There are so many tiny red heat boils on the inner side of the hind legs.... :(

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
The only reason I said toweling is because it holds more water so stays wet longer. Yes Vidhya, an old towel, tied around the Frodo will keep him lovely and cool. As the water evaporates it seems to carry the heat away with it.

Regards, John

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
Don't worry Vidhya, you only need it on really hot days, just to help through the heat of the day. It will cause no problems at all but will make the heat more bareable for Frodo.

Best wishes, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
John every day is a HOT day since past 2 months..... I feel like crucifying the person who got labs here in India :( .... sorry to be this harsh but its sad to see them battle the heat temp touching 36 C - 38 C EVERYDAY...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts