Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Our boy is now 14 months and a delight. He is entire, very sociable with dogs and people and generally quite calm for his age. However, he has no toys to occupy him as he destroys all of them regardless of what they are made of. Soft toys are systematically ripped to pieces within about half an hour, ropes get pulled apart, even the biggest chunkiest things we can find. The same happens to toys made of solid rubber or plastic, even his nylabone is a shadow of its former self and I worry that his stomach is full of small bits he has bitten off that. When things get destroyed most often they are ripped off, masticated and spat out, but inevitably some bits turn up in his poo. He has a coffee wood stick and according to that blurb this is supposed to become fibrous when chewed, but our boy doesn’t want to chew it, just bite pieces off. Luckily he has not touched furniture, skirting boards etc, but I would like something that occupies him that’s not food based. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If he can tear a black Kong apart then I think you need to introduce him to the nearest local gangster to use to dispose of bodies.
Lando has the same approach to toys but the Kong is still as new.

Pets at home sells this thing where there's a blue spikey grenade on a rope. The rope survived one day, but the blue "grenade" as we call it is still a favourite. Although the spikes do get surgically removed and spat out.

The attached picture shows. The Lando-proof selection, it's not the latest line-up from Ann Summers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
People tell me that the black Kongs are tougher than the red.
They are. A fair bit I'd say. Imagine a red one inflated a another PSI

But, as you can see, the red is surviving just fine as well.
I think it's the shape more than anything. Kongs have a shape seems to make it hard to them to really chomp down. Their teeth end of just kind of sliding down

Stuffed animals are the worst. Even the "tuff" ones. Lando has destroyed 3 of them within minutes.

Oddly his dummies don't have a hole in them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are. A fair bit I'd say. Imagine a red one inflated a another PSI

But, as you can see, the red is surviving just fine as well.
I think it's the shape more than anything. Kongs have a shape seems to make it hard to them to really chomp down. Their teeth end of just kind of sliding down

Stuffed animals are the worst. Even the "tuff" ones. Lando has destroyed 3 of them within minutes.

Oddly his dummies don't have a hole in them.

Thanks for the tips. Will try a black one. He had a light blue one when he was much younger but just bit the top off that to get at the treats quicker! I have also tried other tips on here such as a leg of a pair of jeans tied in a knot and that lasted a while, but the 4ft square vetfleece that he had in the kitchen to lie/play on is now a sad pile of tiny pieces. Needless to say he does not have a soft bed to lie on but a stretched canvas type on a metal frame that he hasn’t even tried to chew - hurrah! Sounds like Rocco and Lando are kindred spirits when it comes to soft toys!

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
The pink and blue puppy kong toys are a bit of a gimmick, well, they are for Labrador pups, they may suit smaller breeds but Labrador pups can easily chew through them. The black kongs are definitely tougher, although if you want to go back to the original source of the Kong toy, buy him a VW Bus to chew on, as that's where the idea came from, a suspension part from a VW bus the inventor was working on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To be honest, the toy box rarely comes out because it just causes chaos with the dogs, things being knocked down, people being run over.

One thing that is magic for keeping the dogs entertained is a treat hunt. Even the pup (13 weeks) now knows the drill; sit and wait in the kitchen, we go into the sitting room and hide treats all over, and then they're allowed in to look for them.
It's really interesting, they start off using memory of where we've put them before. Then they go on the sofas to look around and then the last resort is their nose to snoop out the final ones.

Impromptu training sessions in the garden or kitchen.

I think it helps that it's basically our main pass time; tinkering with the mutts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We do treat hunts too and have found the same as you - every place there has been a treat in the past gets inspected. The game lasts longer when treats are in the garden as much more sniffing is required. But there are times when I need to get on and do other stuff which is why having a toy to entertain him would be nice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts