Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

not been around for a while, sadly we had to stop our regular training due to working commitments which have really been hard to fix.

Sadly, this meant we've lost our slot with our trainer and us such are on our own so to speak.

We now really need to get back to it, it's just not fair on Baxter to stick to just walks - he desperately needs to work and we need to get on and do it!

Now, I can't find another dedicated trainer so I'm hoping to skill up myself and get him working without actually working. Is this possible or am I at risk of making things worse?

He loved retrieval games, they taxed his mind and he really responded to the training so i'm keen to do more. With light the way it is at the moment this would only be weekends (he is walked at 05:30 - dark, and at lunch by a walker - on lead and by the evening walk it's pitch black again) So weekends will be 1 hour of dedicated training, like we were doing before. In fact that hour tired him out more than the three walks combined.

I want to work on steadiness, walking to heel and recall. Other than that I want him calm enough to sit in a beer garden and be relaxed if I want a pint.

If I got that out of him i'm chuffed.

any books people can recommend or am I best finding a behaviourist and perhaps having them come once a month to help "on location"

·
Administrator
20,601 Posts
What exactly are your training ambitions? Pet, Competitive Obedience or maybe Gundog work? Often training videos are the best. (There's a lot of truth in the old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words!) For pet dog training probably early gundog puppy training is as good as anything. The Mike Tallamy and Sara Gadd Life of a Gundog vid series are good. Probably if you have done a bit of training Film 2 would probably be a starting point. You might find all you want there. But you never know, you might get interested and want to take it further. https://www.paulfrenchvideo.com/life-of-a-gundog---retriever-training-series-22-c.asp

1 - 2 of 2 Posts