Labradors Forums banner

Suffolk GC Novice cold Game WT

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  barney2007 
#1 ·
This test was held in glorious (but hot) sunshine and was run on FT lines mainly in sugar beet. This also meant that any dog running in or with very 'sloppy' heal work would not go through in the afternoon but being a novice, they were allowed to have their 4 retrieves in the morning.

This was also a 'big event' as this was BF's very first time as a spectator at a dog test and he was so excited about it all that he volunteered his very nice 'posh' saloon Audi and let Adder have the back seat 8O It was a very good experience for him as he now realise that he will most definitely have to change it to a new Audi Estate ASP as that just have more space for the all important 'khaki' gear that is needed for the field :lol: :lol:

Right, back to the test...

We started off with walked up in sugar beet with 4 dogs in line at any time - we were the last one to go being number 18. Two straight marked pigeons in front (first dog to go was on the left hand flank, then we would walk on and another pigeon would be thrown for the first dog on the right hand flank and so on). Adder mark his first pigeon well and went straight to the area and started to hunt but didn't find it so he expanded his hunting area and I had to do some handling for that on ending up with an 8 :( Next retrieve, Adder had now 'zoomed' in and new exactly what he had to do so he went straight to it and picked it, came straight back but in his eager to please, he presented the pigeon to the judge next to me and I had to call him by name - that saw me dropping 7 points to land us a 13 :roll:

Next one was still walking up but we were 'shuffled' around and were now running under a new pair of judges and this time it was two marked behind sending your dog across the line. Didn't touch the whistle at all so we scored full marks for both retrieves 20/20. The judges decided to make a cut after this (lunch) which meant that 5 dogs went out and one withdrew. We made it through.

One retrieve after lunch, again in sugar beet but this time using live, proper shotgun shots for marking. Two dogs in line walking up, with the gun walking ahead on a grass track indicating a shot rabbit to be retrieved (blind). The difficult part was to line the dog up to take a straight (but angled at 45 degee) run across the rows of beet to get the dog as close to the area as possible and get it to hunt. We obvious succeeded as we only dropped 1 point (hunt whistle) and landed us a 19.

A 2nd cut was made which we didn't make because we had dropped all the points on the very first test of the day. 6 dogs made the cut all being very, very close.

They then had to retrieve a rabbit (blind, the retrieve not the rabbit :lol: ) which was down a track that had a similar thing to a stock fence going across the track mid-way. The dogs didn't have to jump the fence but could actually run straight through. The other retrieve they had to do was a water retrieve for a pigeon.

As an overall observation, most dogs that were running were all older dogs with only 3 dogs being under two years old and the oldest being 9 years old.

The winner was very worthy indeed and is a bit of a success story when it comes to re-homing. The dog was bought as a pup by a woman that intended it to be company for her young son but the dog ended up so frustrated and under stimulated that it was about to be put down until his current owner - a gamekeeper - offered it a 2nd chance and a new home. The keeper's wife put some training into it and took it out picking-up but it was still hyper so they decided that the keeper husband would give it as much work as possible around the shoot and that worked. It has not only won a novice cold game test today but it also spent 24/7 with it's new owner and his young family 8)

Result:

1st: Want it all Didoe Swanky, handler/owner: P. Childerhouse
Sire: Pridelines Cossack - Dam: Crissila Best Guess

2nd: Vinham Indie, handler/owner: P. Wimmer
Sire: Conneywarren Angus of Stonedower - Dam: Lark of Ling

3rd: Redbreck Zoe, handler/owner: M. Moore
Sire: Westernash Edryck - Dam: Redbrick Tiny

4th: Kenmilquin Larsson, handler/owner: P. Childs
Sire: Henfold Leo - Dam: Blackcurrant Beech

Judges for the day were: Mr. Keith Bedford, Mr. Billy Frosdick, Mrs. Jenny Hankey, Mr. S. Littleboy.

Novice Field Trials, here we come!!! 8) 8)

Natasha

See less See more
#2 ·
well done to you & Adder for getting through to the afternoon

and what's all this getting a non-khaki BF!!!!! Mind you, sounds like he's willing to learn/adapt.

Don't forget to PM me when I can assist with throwing dummies or whatever :wink: . I have a couple of training-free weeks coming up - so am getting the fidgets to do something!!!!

#6 ·
Tractorgirl said:
and what's all this getting a non-khaki BF!!!!! Mind you, sounds like he's willing to learn/adapt.
:lol: :lol: Well, he is 'khaki' but more of a shooting person rather than roaring across the country to do dog things :lol: He does have a lab, though, so there's still hope and he seems to be learning fast :lol:

Natasha

#7 ·
Well done Natasha - sounds like you had a great day. I was "let off" duties which is why I wasn't there. Had a rather busy weekend. I had to set up a Golden Retriever test on Friday and then steward it all day yesterday in the blistering sun!! Pete had a gig last night in Felixstowe and then another today in Ipswich, then we had a family evening tonight so it was good to have a lie in this morning!!

How did Alistair get on with Archie? I suggested he enter Archie but see how he got on in the first round and withdraw if he wasn't happy with anything as he is only 18 months old. If you remember he won the SGC puppy test in early July. I also thought it would do him good to compete without me watching every move!!!!!!!!! I haven't had a chance to phone him and my server at work is still not working so no emails!!

Anyway off to bed now - I have to help Sara with a sugar beet training day at hers which means a very early start.

Regards,
Sam
Rushbrigg Gundogs

#8 ·
Well done Natasha, nice to hear you and Adder are doing so well.

You'll have to bring him up for a family day out on the Grouse with Sonny and Indy :wink: :wink:

From your description you seemed to have been a little harshly judged knocking you seven points for that, but hey ho, that's how it goes.

Onwards and upwards :wink:

Andrew

#9 ·
Busy weekend for you, Sam 8) I think poor Alistair could have done with your support yesterday :lol: Archie decided to do his own little thing and was just extremely hyper from the word go with little for Alistair to do, really. I'm sure he'll give you a full report but he was one of the ones not to make the first cut - not for running in but for having marvellous 'fun' with the cold game :roll:

I can really recommend doing a cold game WT run at FT lines as it's pretty simple: the retrieves are not very far and as long as you got a good marking dog, ok heal work and a dog that will take a straight line then everyone are in with a chance.

Another good day would be one of the training days that Sam mentioned in her post: there are a few trainers doing them around the country but if you don't mind travelling then try the ones that Sara Gadd are doing - it's a full day of training (so bring your walking shoes :lol: ) run and assisted by some very, very experienced trainers/handlers and they will give you tips and guidance about handling and how to progress even further with your dog. You will learn not only from them but also by watching some of the other handlers there so well worth doing to try out 'simulating' trialling 8) 8)

Natasha

#13 ·
Had a call from Alistair last night so am up to speed on the day.

Training yesterday was great fun. My arm is just recovering from throwing all those dummies!! Took Zulu with me and had a few retrieves with him in the afternoon when we had the "open" dogs out. He did some good work. Am desperately waiting to hear if I get a run in the Yellow Lab 2 day in Scotland next week. There are 5 reserves in front of me so I can only hope that if a place becomes available they won't want to travel so far at such short notice - I could be living in cloud cuckoo land of course!!

This Thursday the sugar beet training at Sara's finishes I think there is one place left at the moment. It only costs about £40 for the whole day including sandwiches at lunch so is very reasonable. Usually people bring 2 dogs - one for the morning and one for the afternoon. Most of the day is in beet but in the afternoon it is sometimes in stubble and ending up in beet. Everyone is very friendly and there is a jovial atmostphere.

Anyway must dash - dogs to train.

Sam
Rushbrigg Gundogs

#14 ·
What a fab right up. Not least because of the Winner's story :D . Also liked the cunning and delft fast one you have pulled on the OH. Very good indeed.

Well done for making the after lunch cut. Very pleasing I'm sure. Some really good scores there. Not sure how we would've coped on a day like that *gulp*.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.