Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
pablo
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wanted some advice pls, my male lab is 7 months old and since last night he suddenly started to lick his nose and is not as playful as he normally is. A few green discharge dribbled overnight.

Do dogs gets a cold like us humans? He had his kennel cough vaccines when he was younger.

Any advice will be welcomed.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Yes, dogs do get colds, also kennel cough is a generic term covering a number of different things, only a few of which are covered by the vaccine. Incidentally, my vet friends tell me that they are now being encouraged to refer to Kennel Cough as "Canine Infectious Respiratory Disease Complex" (CIRDC for short. Why they feel the need to complicate things for the life of me I dont know!)

·
Registered
pablo
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear JohnW,

Thank you so much for your advice- i took him for an hour`s walk this morning and he seemed happy enough. I am hoping to let the cold pass. I am not sure how long it takes but guessing it will be around 4- 7 days may be?

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
If a dog is coughing I dont take them out, because Kennel cough is highly contagious, but for a runny nose, providing he is bright and active I'm not too concerned. They can get a form of pneumonia, which of course IS serious, but it's rare in a fit, active dog, more something that is likely to strike an old dog.

·
Registered
pablo
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi JohnW,

Thank you for the advice, he is way better today being playful and naughty as usual. He does not have a cough and his runny nose seems to be slowing down now.

thank you again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts