Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Just wanted to share my pleasure at a small success with Holly (choccie, nearing 2 yrs old). We have never been able to get her to jump into the boot of the car, probably because we were being so careful when she was young and not letting her jump in, she now expects to be lifted in each time. All attempts at getting her to jump were greeted with deafness and solid refusal.

I go to a gun dog training class and asked the trainer what I could do about this, as the monster is so heavy it nearly kills me to even help her in, let alone lift her off the ground completely (plus I get filthy and wet when she has been in the river, only paddling, won't swim but that is another story). He took the lead, gave it a firm pull and said 'get in' - and she did! Repeated it several times, then I had a go and no problem. When I got home I tried to show off to my OH, at first she refused to budge but when I tried again she jumped straight in. We keep practising and now she is leaping in clearing the bumper and lip of the boot - practically flying in.

I know it isn't a big thing, but it has been a big milestone for us (and for Holly of course). Now just need to work on getting her to jump over stiles and fences - although success at that would probably result in her escaping from the garden over the fence!

Shirley (and Holly the huggable chocolate monster)

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
That's great... always good when you finally get them to do something :D

Good luck with the next hurdle (no pun intended!)... the stiles and fences.

Corbie never jumps in the boot of other peoples cars and I have to lift him in... he goes on our back seat as he hates the boot because he got travel sick in mine when little and just whines the entire time if he has to be 'booted' and rests his chin on the back seat while whinging :roll: lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
And I thought our woos was out there all on his own! - huge relief that you got to 2 yrs before success....

The bug has jumped into the boot (estate car - so flat) just once - when he was around 4 months - all fine.... I think he flunked it once after that at around 5 months, but otherwise, it is ALWAYS a case of putting up the front paws and heave hoing in.....

Once he's in the car - absolutely fine - and we have done some pretty long journeys....

So did the field trainer kind of yank on her lead? as in upwards? or more of a case of telling her who is boss??

We were thinking of feeding him only in the boot for an entire weekend or similar, but haven't quite got round to that yet.....would love to get this one sorted cus as you say - they are a lump (8 months now) and often bleedin filthy!

g

·
Registered
123 Posts
We had the same problem with Scooby. We used to lift him in and out as we were worried about hips etc. This went on for a long time until my gf couldnt lift him anymore. Once he had worked out that he could jump in to the boot there was no stopping him, even down to the point that he would jump to get in to the back of the car when it was shut!!!. (little show off) He takes a run up normally and bounces of the back of the seats, but with the tailgate down there used to be foot prints all over the window/paintwork of the car. I couldnt believe how high he could jump.

On our walk this morning he must have cleared a 7 foot river with one leap, and im certain he could have leapt more.

Well done Holly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He didn't really need to yank the lead much (just a little pull really) but he said it is all about the body language and tone of voice - she knew if she didn't jump I would just lift her in, where he left her in no doubt that he wanted her to do it herself.

Seems incredible that she didn't do it before, when it is obviously so very easy for her. I suspect I am just too soft with her most of the time.

Shirley :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the opposite problem when Mac was younger. Trying to open the boot when he was in it and stop him jumping back out. I found myself opending the boot about 6 inches and reaching in to get his leash on - not easy!!

I really practised the stay command with him in the boot and it is amazing.

He never stays when told ( well for longer than 20 seconds ) but in the boot he does. He will wait for the command before he moves.

I think he associates getting in the car with far more interesting walks and adventures as thats normally where we end up so is willing to travel and leaps in.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Troy was the same, he wouldn't get into the boot on his own. I used to have to lift his front paws and then scoop him up into the boot. Then suddenly just after his second birthday he jumped in by himself. No idea what made him decide to do it, but he did it without any problems. Now he sits and waits for me to tell him, usually throw a small treat in as I give the command.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm really looking forward to the day when Poppy can get in by herself!!! She is 25.5kg now and not a lightweight to pick up. Still It's a bit difficult if she did jump into the boot because I have a crate it in for her and there is a lip to the boot as well. But, next week we are changing our car for a volvo estate, so hopefully there will be more room and the lip on the boot is much better/flatter. Not sure if the vets will let her jump in yet (because of her hip) but I really do look forward to the day.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts