Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions please! One of my Labs (bitch, 7 months old) had a small area of redness around her vulva yesterday morning and then in the afternoon she started getting a dark brown discharge which has been on and off since. She is very lively and fine in every other respect. I'm tempted to think that she has come into season, but she has shown no hint of other signs prior to this (like running after the boys at the park or swelling up) and the discharge is much darker than I've seen before with a season ( had experience of 4 other bitches). I'm worried that on the other hand she has some sort of infection, but I've been through all my books a hundred times and can't find anything that it could possibly be. The vets is shut until Tuesday and I'm now considering whether to phone the emergency vet. Is it only in our house that things like this happen on Bank Holiday weekends? :)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi maybe she is having her first seaon its just starting? brandy my elder lab 6yrs she doesnt get frisky till the 3rd week or last week of her seaon then she starts to missbehave ie: not come in when told
is there not a number you can phone up for advice to rule out a infection??

to me it sounds like the very start of her season but to have peace of mind try and phone the vet :):)

·
Administrator
21,416 Posts
The discharge from a season should show up almost blood red. Check it by wiping on a toilet tissue so you know you are not seeing the background colour of whatever she drips on. Her age is about right for a season so on the face of it this is what it sounds like.

I would be worried if the colour is a dirty brown rather than red, this could point to a problem, although things such as Pyometra usually occur shortly AFTER a season.

The usual colour starts red but often gets rather more watery as the season gets into the second or third week and sometimes stops completely. This does NOT mean the season is finished and the bitch can still mate and conceive so don’t fall into the trap of taking her out!

Any departure from the usual colouring is suspicious and worth a trip to the vets, just to be on the safe side.

Regards, John

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. This morning instead of the dark brown discharge she now has the more watery reddish discharge that I'm used to seeing with a season so I'm a bit calmer now! This is her first season and as someone else has said to me the first ones can be a bit all over the place and not "text book". I'll still going to keep a close eye on her though, but in the meantime she is quite happily downstairs beating up my other two Labs!

·
Administrator
21,416 Posts
Keep an eye open for excessive drinking and treat this as a possible warning of impending problems. This is a bit of a "Judgment call" because some dogs naturally drink more when in season. Lethagy could be another sign, but again, some bitches are this way when in season anyway. The whole thing is very difficult to call with a young bitch in her first season. After a couple of seasons a patten starts to emerge and you know what to expect and what's odd.

I've had all sorts, Bitches who have always had a broody 60 days after a season, bitches who go to pieces BEFORE coming into season and bitches who pass it off as if nothing's happening.

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
ill have to watch rosze as she has yet to have her first season she is 7mths so not looking forward to it..lol..its the mess and i know both my bitches will come into season soon after each other this is what happen with my late lab pity we cant buy a sort of nappy for the dogs when they are in season..lol..id be the first to buy one..LOL.. :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
21,416 Posts
You could have a long wait yet. anything between 4 months and 14 months is easily possible. Most of my Labs have been nearer a year to 13 months first time, although my Anna came in bang on six months and has been as regular as clockwork ever since. In my experience it takes two or three season for bitches to synchronise with each other, at least then life gets just a little easier!

Regards, John

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi clairiscrazy
you can actually get nappies for bitches in season! I've seen them in Pets at Home, but never bothered as I don't think any of mine would tolerate wearing them. We opt for covering all the carpets up with old sheets and just keep picking them up and washing them all the time. A neighbours friend put an old pair of her knickers on her bitch which was fine apparently until the woman opened the door to the postman, the bitch escaped and proceeded to run around the street :lol:

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Sorry for highjacking this thread, but would just like say Welcome on board John, good to have you here. Your wealth of knowledge in Labs ( and in general) will be a great asset to the site.

Kay

·
Administrator
21,416 Posts
Thanks Kay, your welcome is appreciated.

Yes Clare, I also use old sheets on the carpet. It's so easy to pick them up and wash them, storing them away after the season finishes ready for next time. My old sheets have been in use for years!

Regards, John

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Sorry for highjacking this thread, but would just like say Welcome on board John,
I'd like to second that, welcome to Labforums John. :)

I look forward to chating to you & hearing more about your labs.

Best Wishes

Julie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts