Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else's lab prefer to drink water from the taps as opposed to his water bowl? dylan has done this from day one and i can only assume he does it because the puppies roamed around the farmyard all day and probably drank from the outside tap.he drinks from his bowl as normal downstairs but prefers to drink from the taps upstairs,i always wipe the taps after he's been upstairs though,Lynne.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Scooby can't reach the taps yet!

He likes to drink out the horses' water buckets and any convenient puddle - even if it's dirty, although I try to stop him.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Lynne,

Ben loved to drink from the taps especially when you ran a bath. We go so fed up with him sticking his head under that we brought him a Big Dog drinking fountain. He loves it and will no longer use a proper water bowl. Best thing is he no longer dribbles over the floor because he has to tilt his head to drink the running water. Best thing I ever brought! :lol:

Cristina & Benson

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

Smudge doesn't really get near the taps very much so he doesn't do this - sounds like it would be quite strange to see!

He does however try and drink out of any pool of water in the garden, e.g. on top of a container or something which does worry me!

The fountain sounds great Cristina - I think I have seen those in our local pet shop.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Dogs have strange habits! Mine too love to drink from taps.

I have a water bowl inside and out. The one outside is near a tap so when I full it they have to drink from the tap first while their bowl is being filled.

But even without the tap the water (apparently) tastes better from outside because I have to let them out to have a drink even when there is the same water inside. Maybe its colder?! Funny dogs. :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Angus can't reach any of our taps either but when he drinks from his bowl he always flips it over as soon as he has finished the water in it. Think he's learnt the noise it makes alerts me to the fact it's empty. It's v funny to watch though - as if he's saying, 'More please!'

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
somehow i feel so good that frodo is not the only weirdo :wink: ... but he had a grouse habit,, he used to drink from the toilet (yucks) :roll: now the comode is always shut...

cris i just loved the doggie fountain :) .. i'm gonna look at the possiblities of getting on here in India...

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi frodosmum,i dont class dylan as a weirdo just because he drinks from a tap,believe me they do some strange things but i would not call labbies wierd.Lynne.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max will try to get water from any where and every where :lol:
clean, dirty, soapy, muddy! you nane it he'll drink it. :oops: and yes that includes the loo 8O his latest trick is when im washing up. he will push his way between me and the sink and stick his nose in the bubbles. good job i use fairy as he now has a nose as soft as his face :D

jane and max

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jane just wait untill max works out the bubbles come out of a pipe under the kitchen window,dylan's had that pipe off countless times,we have had to superglue it to stop him stealing it .Lynne.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi lynne,
i know what you mean! he found the pipe and drain last week :oops: i had just finished the washing when in he came with a soaking wet head 8O he had managed to some how move the pipe and then stuck his head down the drain. at least he smelt nice as it was the conditioner he was covered in :lol:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi lynee...
Frodo is my first child and this is a whole new experince for me ...its just that i see him as human and found few habits yes as you Rightly said Strange.... my humble apologies for using the word weird .... there is no doubt that i love my frodo and his fraternity more then anything.....God bless

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi frodosmum,i am glad you are enjoying your baby and will do so for many years, they give lots of love and make you laugh and do lots of funny and stange things i also love my baby very much even though he bites my bum and it hurts, he is now throwing a smelly trainer around the house and behaving like a madman but i still love him take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Lynne & Dylan :) ..... hehehe the other day i treated frodo with soft bites :wink: just wanted him to know how it feels....:p lolz i'm becoming like him lolz....

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi frodosmum, soft bites are ok but dont bite the little baby with big bites as he wont like it and we must try and teach them not to do it,but it does not always work as you see with dylan, its a game for dylan and he is a big boy and it hurts, but one day he will be a good boy all the time(i hope)they love their games and frodo is still a baby and hasnt made many games up yet but he will,and some will not be nice like dylans bum biting but we must forgive them for being naughty and not do to them what they do to us,i would not like to bite dylans bum.Lynne and dylan.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi lynne
glad to know that max is not the only bum biter 8O he doesnt do it very often as he would sooner head butt my bum or if he happens to have his ball on a rope
i end up getting a whack with that :lol:

jane and max.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi frodosmum
Don't worry, dogs see nothing wrong with drinking out of the toilet, from a muddy puddle etc. It's only us that finds it disgusting. :D
The best way to train a pup is to try and copy how the other pups and mum and dogs would treat him. If a pup bites too hard whilst playing the other pup will walk away and ignore them. Ignoring them and withdrawing your attention is the best way because it is what other pups and dogs would do to him. He won't understand the concept of being bitten to show that it hurts. Even telling them 'no' or telling them to stop is giving them attention so the pup things it's all part of the game.
HTH :)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jane are you sure max and dylan arent related as they have the same antics,have you been headbutted downstairs yet?,i ended up with a sprained wrist when dylan did it to me the things that lad does and i still love him to bits.Lynne & dylan.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
HI lynee hello labdab....

:) Thanks for your advise...i know it was completely silly on my part to behave like frodo... Labdad i tried what you suggested but the thing is Frodo is my shawdow so i go away he follows me....so i started to ignore him evertime he bites me...It works but only temporarily :wink: ....he's got a short memory for inculcating good habits ....lolz...

BTW hez deaf to NO lolz.....Have a lovely weekend....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts