Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the last few days poppy has been rather odd on her walks, she seems to have been tiring quite quickly even on shortish walks, she lags behind and on 3 occasions has even lay down as if tired and refused to move, rather embarrassing if people are around to see :oops: :oops: on her walk this morning with my husband she was really, really sniffy to the point of planting herself to the spot to sniff at something on the pavement, she wouldn't move for anything 8O she hasn't behaved like this for months.

last night she was really quite sick and feeling rather sorry for herself for a time but after about half an hour she was back to her old self. she has also been quite sleepy during the days.

any ideas? :? none of this is normal poppy behaviour but she seems fine in her self.

?

·
0 Posts
It could just be that she is still all hormonal, perhaps edging towards a Phantom Pregnancy. However I'd keep an eye on her. If she starts drinking more than usual, vomitting more often, or becomes really lethargic, then I'd pop her down the vets, as she could have a Pyometra (womb infection) starting up.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you. i had wondered if it was the beginings of a phantom but from what i've read it's a bit early?

we will indeed keep an eye on her. is there anything else we should look out for?

?

·
0 Posts
poppington said:
is there anything else we should look out for?
For a Pyo, any signs of "illness" really.... So as well as the above, going off her food, panting excessively, excessive licking of her vulva (because she may be clearing up a discharge), brownish/bloody discharge, in fact anything you are not happy with.

For a Phantom, swollen mammory glands, nesting, adopting a favourite toy/item and obsessing about it, although that stage tends to come later at around the 8-10 weeks mark. Not all Phantoms produce all symptoms though. I've had some bitches who've just produced milk and been a bit sulky, whereas others go the whole hog.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you.

i have to say i'm a bit concerned now as she is rather sleepy and not sure what to do with herself, she's not showing any other symptoms though and hasn't been sick since yesterday evening. i'm really hoping it's not a pyometra as right now i have no way of getting her to a vets until later tonight :?

i'm feeling quite sick with worry that my baby might be ill :? the things these pets put us through :roll:

?

·
0 Posts
Well if she has only just started acting like this (being sleepy) then it won't hurt to wait and reassess the situation later, when you could get to the vet. After all it could just be the heat, as my lot are all flopping around at the moment, trying to find cool spots.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I hope Poppy is alright and feeling her usual self soon. I have no experiences with bitches so can't comment on hormones, but I do know this heat is meaning Cadbury is just lying out on the kitchen floor most of the day and he hasn't got a lot of energy. So like Jules said, could be that.

{{{Be Better Poppy}}} vibes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts