Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several times now, I've taken Harry out for toilet time - between half an hour to an hour depending on how recently he's weed inside/eaten and drunk. We can then stay outside for ages - this morning 55 minutes - and literally the minute he comes indoors, he runs really fast, straight in and does a massive wee. It's as though he's waiting to come indoors to go. Once I grabbed him (nicely) mid wee and we went back outdoors for another 5 minutes whereupon I assumed maybe he'd managed to get it all out inside before we went out, but no, again the minute we got in he ran to under the table and weed again. It's not that he's delaying it to stay in the garden longer as he wants to come in - goes to the door and paws it. I ignore the indoor wees and just clean them up, don't take him back out again. Anyone else's puppy indoor/outdoor confused!?
Help!
Gwinny

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
What are you cleaning up with? If it has an ammonia smell (bleach type cleaning product) this might be encouraging him to wee in that spot.

I kept a mop bucket full of water and biological washing powder mix when Indie and Tau were pups, to clean up after any accidents. The enzymes help break down anything and don't leave the same scent that might encourage weeing.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Oh dear, you are having fun aren't you! Has he weed outside at all yet?

I can literally only suggest once he's eaten, take him directly outside as they usually wee once they've eaten and play the waiting game. He'll eventually get so desperate he'll have to wee outside...
Have you cleaned the indoor wees with bio washing powder solution really thoroughly? Does he choose the same spot each time?
If he goes for the same spot each time, I suppose you could put a puppy pad there and once he wees on it, remove it outside and rub it on the grass, then take him to that spot for his next wee?

Gah, I hope he gets the hang of it soon!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, I'm using bio washing powder as breeder suggested it. Sometimes floor wipes or disinfectant but they don't have ammonia in either.

G

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has weed outside yes, but this coming in to do it has started yesterday. He's 9 weeks, so I know only tiny and I've no problem with the accidents just would like to nip this coming into wee in the bud if poss!

G

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
I take it you're doing all the usual word associating, praise etc when he gets it right, in which case it just sounds as though its a matter of perseverence and hope there aren't too many more indoor fountains 8O

It was easier with Tau to get her to go outside, as she just copied her big sis, but it was steady slow progress with Indie. Even after you thought it was completely cracked she'd still occasionally surprise you, thankfully she never did it at anyone else's house!!!!!

One thing you might also notice is that some pups don't like toileting outside of a certain area - some people think this is down to instinct where pups try and hide their scent from possible predators. For example, once you are out and about Harry might cross his legs until he gets home and can go in the safety of his own garden (hopefully not the house 8O ), both Indie and Tau used to do this. Whether it is an innate instinct I don't know :? :D :D :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts