Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both the boys are now 8 months, and for the last few months they have been doing really well at not pooping during the night. However the last week or so ive come down every morning to wee and poops!!!!

They get put in the kitchen around 10.30 - 11ish every night and then my partner gets up at 4 in the morning to go to work so he lets them out, but by then they have already messed.

They are let out every hour during the night, so they get out plenty. But much of the time Charlie just sits by the back door, its s annoying!!!!

I just cant understand why it seems they have gone backwards with their training!!!!

G

·
Has their evening feeding time changed? Maybe try feeding them a little bit earlier so they 'go' before they go to bed.

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Along with looking at feeding times, when you let them out for "toilets" before bed-time, does someone go out with them to make sure they go?

If you don't, I would try this, might be they're not bothering to go outside and just coming back in and going once you've gone to bed? Mine aren't always keen on going out in the rain so I do tend to go outside with them to make sure they go, even now they're all "grown ups".

G

·
They are let out every hour during the night,
Do you mean all night long someone is coming down to let them out 8O ? If so this could be why they have never learnt to switch off and hold it.

If I was in your situation, I'd do three things. Firstly I'd look at what they were eating, could it be too rich, too full of fillers, colourings, etc? If you think this could be the problem, I'd switch to a better quality, lower protein brand.
Secondly, I'd look at their last feed times. I wouldn't feed them any later than 6pm and I'd make sure they had a walk or play time before going to bed, as movement produces movement, so they should then be going to bed more or less empty.
Thirdly, I'd crate them....in seperate crates. It could be that they are waking up in the night and playing....Movement produces movement as I said before, so reducing that should make them settle and not need to "go".

At 8 months old they are maturing fast. This problem "could" have started because they have smelled a bitch on heat somewhere close by and so they have started to mark their "patch". Of course being as they are both lads of a similar age, if one marks the other one will too. Dogs don't only mark with urine but with faeces too. However this is another thing which could possibly be avoided by crating them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah tried that, started feeding them a little earlier, try and give them their last feed around 4 now!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were on James wellbeloved, but ive just recentley changed them to skinners duck and rice hypo-allergenic, I switched them from James wellbeloved cos Charlie was still having very runny poops and they didnt seem to be gaining weight.

Ive never had crates for them, they have always just slept in their bed, ive never actually thought about using one.

Nobody lets them out through out the night, they are left between 11 and 4 and then they are let out at 4 and then again at 7 when i get up.

I dont usually go out with them, cos they generally just follow me around then, but i guess its worth a try for a poop free night!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts