Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey is 4.5 months old and I thought we were doing well with his toilet training. He can go for 8 hours or more through the night but he’s started randomly weeing in the house at unexpected times. I ensure that he’s rewarded when he goes outside but he seems to have regressed a bit in the last week or so. It’s frustrating especially as he can go through the night. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
The obvious answer is to go back to the start, by taking him out at regular intervals and rewarding him when he goes,

But a question, how much does he do when he wees? A full on flood, or just a small amount? Is there any other dogs reasonably close? Thinking bitch in season and him scent marking??

He's a bit young for that though so my guess would be simply a relapse and to go back to basics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, it varies how much he does. Today he did a sprinkle after only being out an hour earlier. I agree, think it’s back to basics. I do reward him when he goes outside and thought he was doing well but the last week he’s regressed. Looks like it’s back to regular intervals.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
Is there any chance he could have a pee infection? That’s made one of mine go right back. Just a thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Maddie, he still goes 8 hours or so overnight so I don’t think it’s that. Going back to basics.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
He is still very young, some pups just take much longer to 'get it' than others. As long as there's not an infection going on it's just a case of patience and being consistent.
I've had lots of pups over the years and consider myself an experienced dog owner, but I've never had one so difficult to housetrain as Ash who's now 3yrs old. He would be fine for weeks then we'd have a spate of weeing in the house even though he was taken down the garden regularly. He was 13mths old when he had his finale indoor accident...I was beginning to despair, but we got there in the end.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mandy, I don’t think there’s any infection because he goes right through the night, approximately 8 hours. He’s been ok today so far as I’ve gone back to basics and taking him out regularly. I’m pleased that we’re not the only ones, I was beginning to think I was doing everything wrong.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
No you're doing fine. Pups much like children develop at different rates, there's no set time or moment when a target should be achieved. Take kids, some are potty trained by age 2, most still have accidents when they start nursery aged 3 and then there are still a fair percentage that are unreliable well into primary school age. Give him time, he will get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts