Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooper is 8 months old and still needs toilet breaks during the night. Sometimes twice per night.

He has his dinner around 6:30pm, then a short walk at some point in the evening and normally does both pee and poo. Last time in the garden around 9.30-10pm and then off to bed. I get woken up at 5-5:30am for the bathroom, sometimes at 1-2am as well. When I take him out during the night, there's always a big wee or poo and he is happy to go back to bed straight after.

It started around fireworks season when he wouldn't go out in the evening and so would wake me at 1am needing the toilet as he hadn't been in the evening.

One thing that I noticed is that he doesn't really drink regularly but will drink a whole large bowl of water in the evening. I could possibly remove the water from 8pm, but don't want him to dehydrate? He eats dry food.

I can't really let him cry or bark during the night because I live in a semi-detached with a young family and the boys have school; and also considering that he does need to toilet, I'd find it a bit unkind to make him hold it (I don't think I could stay in bed if I needed the loo during the night!). Also he doesn't sleep in his cage anymore so possibly a bigger risk of accidents if I don't take him out.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
It sounds like something of a habit to me.

*TMI alert* I have found myself that I can easily get in the habit of 'needing' to get up in the night, when actually my bladder is perfectly capable of waiting 'till morning. I have to train myself to ignore it and all is well again.

But the only suggestion I have if you can't ignore his barks is to wait until they are on holiday - then have a new regime for him?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I would stop him drinking a whole bowl before bedtime and encourage him to drink plenty earlier on, instead. I have to "encourage" Millie to drink when we're out competing on hot days - I use a little milk/dog milk, chicken water, marmite water (thanks to LunaTuck for that one!) etc.
When I got her she had been a kennel dog and was in the habit of having a 4am poo!! I played around with the timings of her evening meal and I now try to make sure she's as empty as possible by bed time. Now we only tend to need to get up if something has upset her tum or if she's had a big drink in the evening for some reason.

Angela

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Shelby is 10 1/2 months old and she wouldn't wait longer than till 5am to go for a wee - she will jump out for just 30 seconds and is straight back to bed. Tbh I never thought about trying to hold her longer just take her (somehow it's always me who has to go ;) ) out when she asks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps I could soak his dinner so that he'd get water then and just leave him a tiny bit of water in his bowl for the evening?

If I could get him to last to 6am I would be a happy camper as that's when I get up anyway. There's something psychological with 5:45am feeling like the middle of the night whereas 6am is morning :lol:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Boogs said:
It sounds like something of a habit to me.

*TMI alert* I have found myself that I can easily get in the habit of 'needing' to get up in the night, when actually my bladder is perfectly capable of waiting 'till morning. I have to train myself to ignore it and all is well again.

But the only suggestion I have if you can't ignore his barks is to wait until they are on holiday - then have a new regime for him?
See this is what I worry about too. Creating a habit when he doesn't actually really need it.

For me he's only 8 weeks and not 6 months so fair enough but at the moment I'm that concious if he's awake then I should chance it and take him, rather than leaving him settle as I'm just afraid he'll poop he pee in his crate if I don't get up and take him.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
loyalblue said:
For me he's only 8 weeks and not 6 months so fair enough but at the moment I'm that concious if he's awake then I should chance it and take him, rather than leaving him settle as I'm just afraid he'll poop he pee in his crate if I don't get up and take him.
Tatze was about sixteen weeks before she lasted all night ('till 6am) but she goes to bed at 10pm.

By 12 weeks she was managing 10pm to 5pm. They are all different.

But don't worry about setting up a habit at such a young age. His baldder won't be mature enough for a while yet. Just move the night time wee a little later each night - 'till, by the time he's six months old you realise you are up before him every morning! (Which is the case for us now :D)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Boogs said:
loyalblue said:
Tatze was about sixteen weeks before she lasted all night ('till 6am) but she goes to bed at 10pm.

But don't worry about setting up a habit at such a young age. His baldder won't be mature enough for a while yet. Just move the night time wee a little later each night - 'till, by the time he's six months old you realise you are up before him every morning! (Which is the case for us now :D)
Could I ask what feeding times you had for that? Also did you give water all the time? Sonny seems to want water all night even when u don't think he even needs it.

Also I've realised the breeder had him on a 10pm last fed and was always professed to a kennel as such outside so that's why he is most likely used to poop at 4am .

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
They are all so different. Apart from Dolly's first night she has gone every single night until (in the early days) 6 am. Now she quite happily sleeps though until someone gets up, usually about 6.30am, can be 7.30am at week ends; yet Alfie who is 5 yrs will sometimes pee/poo in the night which is frustrating. Neither dogs ever bark or whine to go out so this makes things more difficult for me as I always have to be aware of their extremely subtle hints :roll:

Both dogs go out anywhere between 10 and 12 at night just before we go to bed.

It does sound like habit with Cooper, and therefore I'd also wet his last meal and then reduce his water intake after 8pm.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
loyalblue said:
Boogs said:
loyalblue said:

Could I ask what feeding times you had for that? Also did you give water all the time? Sonny seems to want water all night even when u don't think he even needs it.

Also I've realised the breeder had him on a 10pm last fed and was always professed to a kennel as such outside so that's why he is most likely used to poop at 4am .
I lifted her water dish an hour before bedtime.

Her feeds were 6am 11am 4pm and 8pm but we quickly moved to three feeds (7am 1pm and 7pm)

Now she is on two - 7:30am and 7:30pm with a Bonio at lunch time.

:)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone, just wanted to say that the last couple of nights I have been soaking Cooper's dinner and only leaving him a little bit of water in the evening, and he has gone from 9pm to 5am both nights without needing to toilet. (It's really strange to be woken up by the alarm clock again!) :D

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Kiki_Dollywood said:
Hi everyone, just wanted to say that the last couple of nights I have been soaking Cooper's dinner and only leaving him a little bit of water in the evening, and he has gone from 9pm to 5am both nights without needing to toilet. (It's really strange to be woken up by the alarm clock again!) :D
Brill!!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great news :D

When Jess came to us at 9 months old, the same thing. She was waking us up a couple of times a night to go out. Not good when we are up at 04.15 every morning :roll:

She soon got into our routine and didn't stir until the alarm went off.
The odd exception, but so what :D

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
:D thats good to hear, it must be difficult if you have to work or seeing kiddies off to school in the morning with broken sleep,

To be honest , when I was working I would never have been able to cope with broken sleep. so I do admire anyone who is having to cope with toilet training :) .

We still have the odd night when one or more of the little beggers has eaten forbidden fruit and feeling under the weather, but I have to admit on those occasions if there is a doubt I leave the door open so they can relieve themselves outside [ for anyone who is concerned about dog theft or escape our rear garden is very secure :wink: ] we do still have the odd accident but they are very good on the whole and fortunately try to alert me if they have a problem :) .

June

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
To be honest I'd SO much prefer my dogs not bark OR whine when they want to go out and just GO in the night. i most definately wouldn't want to get up beyond about the 12 week old mark but would have no problem at all with them having a wee or poo in the kitchen..... its so easily wiped up and just part of having a dog.

They grow out of it and just have an accident now and then later on, but by golly i'd go nuts if they barked me up in the night... ;-) I'd not have ANY onbjections to them crapping in the kitchen, but i WOULD be being shouted up at any hour till getting up time - LOL.

I do think it can be a tad counter productive to try and teach a dog to tell you when it wants to go out. I know some aren't TAUGHT this and just seem to demand it, but better an accident on the floor than a dog who feels day or night he can get you up.... But that MIGHT just be me ;-)

Di

·
Registered
455 Posts
At 8 months, it's a habit - my Pippa was the same... dreadful. In the end, I took to going down stairs, telling her to be quiet and going back to bed. Within a week she was sleeping through the night.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Diana

I agree with you, and unfortunately I didn't teach Cooper to whine or bark to wake me voluntarily...

It started when he had a dodgy tum for a few weeks and I didn't want to leave him to go in his cage while he was sick. Then it was fireworks season and he refused to go out between 8-midnight, so again would wake me in the middle of the night.

I live in a semi detached next to a young family and I'd hate to keep them up because of my dog whining and barking, so I take the dog out when he whines/barks and then we all go back to bed quietly. If they go on holiday then I'll try to let him cry, etc, but for now I just don't want to be a nuisance.

Anyway. I really am doing my best taking into account all factors, and I'll keep trying to get rid of this habit, but letting him cry out in the night is just not possible for me and I don't know how else to make him stop crying.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Pipmont said:
At 8 months, it's a habit - my Pippa was the same... dreadful. In the end, I took to going down stairs, telling her to be quiet and going back to bed. Within a week she was sleeping through the night.
My friend had the same problem with Zaba - so she did this, he didn't get out but she said 'quiet'! and it seemed to work!

:)

Here is a piccy of him - we are missing our walks together while Tatze is in season. (You can see which is which - hehe!)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
lola does wake me with a bark but its only in an EMERGENCY situation that she ever does so I don't mind. Shes only done it about twice in the past year after eating something dodgy, one of those she couldn't even wait until I'd staggered downstairs :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts