Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Murphy is now 7 months old and well and truly into the adolescence stage, suddenly he has conveniently forgot how to stay and sit all the standard stuff he is more than capable of doing and don鈥檛 get me started on the chewing, we are staying calm and keeping to his training and enjoying it 90% of the time 馃榾

Murphy has never gone up stairs we have had baby gates since the day he came home, he is now 28kg and to heavy to carry up stairs, at what age (supervised) is it ok for him to go up and down stairs by himself we are talking once to go up at night and once to come back down in the morning and we would be right behind on the way up and in front on the way down, the baby gates will remain

thanks in advance for you advice

Mark

Premium Member
To be fair, once my pup is too big to carry, then I have no option but to let them go up and down stairs, as my house is built over 4 levels with a lower ground floor to the rear. I don't encourage her to run up and down them, but she takes herself off downstairs to go into the dog yard to go to the toilet.

Administrator
You can only do what you can do. If you cant safely carry him then you have no choice but to let him tackle the stairs. The thing to guard against is running down and jumping off 3 or 4 stairs from the bottom. Maybe use a lead so you can control his speed, but only if you can do it safely. What you cant have is him dragging you to the extent that you overbalance and end up falling down the stairs! OK, his safety is important, but so is yours!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, Murphy has no interest in going up the stairs we have even left the baby gate open to tease him but nothing, I can keep carrying him for a while longer, we are determined to do the Best for his health and just wandered if there was an ideal age to wait for b4 allowing him to go up stairs

thank you as always for you time and advice

Mark

Administrator
I always had a baby gate across the stairs, but Amy arriving just happened to coincide with redecorating the hall, stairs and landing, so the gate was packed away while I was doing the decorating. One day I had a phone call at work, "Amy has gone upstairs and is afraid to come down!" I had to turn a million pound machine off, travel 20 minutes home, carry her downstairs, replace the gate, then travel 20 minutes back to work. I hadn't the heart, (or courage) to tell my boss that he had lost an hour's production and had a million pound machine shut down because of a 12 week old puppy! ;)

Premium Member
From memory, Branta was about 6 months old, and she is like a bull in a china shop. She reminds me very much of her Grandma, no bad thing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts