Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of posts saying things like 'teething is at its worst at X time' or 'stick with it X is the worst time it gets better' etc. I was wondering does anyone have a link to a 'stages of lab development' type thing when you can see what developmental things are happening and what to expect?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
This is a reasonable link. But the various stages affect different dogs in different ways. I've twice had dogs badly affected by separation anxiety at the 9/10 month time, but others who seemed to pass through it without noticing. Don't try to anticipate, you could easily bring on the very behaviour you are trying to avoid. Treat every dog as an individual. Be aware, but do nothing unless it becomes necessary.

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
I remember with Amy. I started using a starting pistol to simulate gunfire in the garden at a distance at 6 months old, with no problem at all. At about 9 months I noticed her starting to look apprehensive when she saw the pistol, so I put it away and never used it again for quite some time. At around 14 months I asked a friend to bring his 12 bore shotgun along one Saturday morning, and did a couple of retrieves using that and she was fine. We had got through the flaky period and come out the other side. Just understand that stress "may" show in things which up to that point might have been fine. If it does, don't push things. I could so easily have ruined Amy as a working gundog, but I recognised a problem in the making and just gave her time to get past that point. That was all that was needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You did a good thing. Ours it’s just a pet, but he came to us very anxious at 6 months. He’s now 7 months and seems more settled. He’s not a very chewy dog which has surprised me, as I’ve heard the horror stories. So we’ve given him the run of the downstairs but it does make me wonder if a chewy / destructive stage is around the corner?!

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
it does make me wonder if a chewy / destructive stage is around the corner?!
It is always a possibility. I've only had 2 chewers, and neither started until 9 to 10 months old, which is why these days I never de-crate until around a year old.

Yes, my dogs work, but they are my friends and companions first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh... I’d love to work my dog but it’s not possible for us. We’re doing lots of training. We’ll be prepared for a possible future chewy stage and hope the sofa with stands it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts