Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody offer any advice on squeaking? Ihave a friend who has a very good young dog by saxaphone express 2 1/2 years to be exact, he is very well trained handles well, marks well and has impecable manners, he has been entered in scurries and done very well, more recently he has been entered in working tests but has been put out in the later stages for squeaking, this is something that has only recently developed, I have no experience of this so if anybody could offer any advice on the cause or the remedy, if there is one!! it would be much appriciated.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I am no expert, and I am sure many experts will be along with good advice, but I have seen people with young dogs when this problem starts. What they do is try not to have the dog sitting aroung getting "hyped" up and overexcited. Keep walking the dog away from the excitement. Keep the dog calm.

Obviously this is impossible in a test situation so perhaps put the tests on a back burner for a while and take a few steps back, to try and sort this out before it becomes a habit. Scurries too are very exciting and perhaps this hasn't helped push a keen dog over the top.

Just my thoughts! you'll get better advice soon I'm sure

Good luck!

Katy

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
;-) Sorry I didn't see this till I'd just started the other thread just now! Blush....

Di

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I have a squeaky dog and its not the easiest thing to fix. Most will tell you its not fixable. I'm still working on it and have to admit its pretty hard - I've tried most everything that you will probably already have heard and nothing really has worked completely.

I have managed to reduce the volume and the frequency, but it does still pop up. I sometimes now get a throat click rather than a whine which is likely just as bad! :lol: :lol:

Not an easy problem to fix, you should probably take some advice from a trainer, person to person.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i have had a couple over the years ,sacked the first one to a pet homeafter trying allsorts ,i just cant stand noise and when you have a load of dogs one whinger or whiner is one to many.
the last one we have had seems to be responding well to the old shaker bottle negative reward trick,he is very soft in nature and just seems to have given up and i can see him really concentrating hard trying not to whine.
the acid test is this saturday back on the shooting field ,to be fair this dog seems to whinge through boredom rather than getting over stressed or excited .if he is concentrating he is fine but if nothing is going on or he is wet or cold he just whinges.
the first dog it was pure excitement and stress wanting to get on ,i think noise has many causes rather than just being inherent in the breeding.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I was the dummy thrower at the water test this weekend and I noticed several dogs squeeking as they swam towards the dummy. I've heard someone mention this happening before, but it's the first time I've witnessed it. Now, in one case at least, I know this dog is quiet normally, and as they were squeeking while swimming away from the judge, the judge didn't hear, and I'm guessing the owner didn't either. How on earth do you deal with something like that and has anyone else come across it?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
REDRACER said:
to be fair this dog seems to whinge through boredom rather than getting over stressed or excited .if he is concentrating he is fine but if nothing is going on or he is wet or cold he just whinges.
Dave, that is exactly the same circumstances as when Vegas whinges!
He's usually quiet as a mouse, but when he's bored he starts to fidget and squeak. It's driving me bonkers!

Aside from constantly walking him off in the other direction (he'll shut up immediately when you give him something to do), and doing the usual distractions (sit/drop/sit/paw/drop over and over again) what have you been doing to work on that with your dog??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts