Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to give a mention for excellent service. www.sportingsaint.co.uk

I ordered two 1lb training dummies yesterday and they arrived this morning. £11.43 including postage. :D
They are good tough canvas dummies. I've just spent 1/2 hour in the rain with Hollie and she's loving it. My arm aches now. :roll: :p

Question:
Does anyone use a game scent stick or liquid? Apparently you apply it to the dummy. There are various game scents.

:D

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have never used a scent; they get pretty high by themselves. Some people spit on them but I find that if they are carried in a game bag with rabbit skin dummies and the odd dead bird, they pick up a lot of scent.

One thing I heard from a respected person recently – Orange dummies don’t hold as much scent as green ones. :?

John

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Another fan of Sporting Saint here :wink:

Never used game scent before, just my own! With new dummies especially I like to hold them a bit in the cnetre as I think that encourages a quick find and a good delivery i.e. mouth in the centre of the dummy and not holding the toggle on one end (top tip from Jill that one)

Wow never knew that about orange ones John.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
The trouble with using scent Bob is that it tends to stop them wanting anything else if that makes sense, so if I were you to start with I would just stick to plain old dummies.

I have never used the scent, but I guess if anyone gets really desparate they are worth a try!

Remember to keep her wanting more Bob. Not too many retrieves in one session.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Another one that's never bought a bottle of artificial game scent before. Under normal circumstances, a dog should love to retrieve no matter the object - scent or no scent. Following on from what Jill says keep them 'sharp' and keen on wanting more retrieves by giving them a few that they really have to work for.

As you're about to enter the world of shooting, you will get the chance of getting a brace of pheasants or partridges to take home so save the wings and stick them on a dummy and you'll get your scent AND feathers for free :wink:

Natasha

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks. :D I'll forget about the scent and beg a wing when the season starts.

Helen & John:
I've got a yellow dummy and an orange one, she likes them both equally. :p

:lol:

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Bushy - you are positively IMMERSING yourself in the wonderful world of Khaikidom! :lol: You'll love it - and everyone is so sensible in this neck of the forum - none of that mucking about and making merry like on the other forums!! :wink:

(Becs's handy hint......if you do decide to invest in a bottle of 'Eau de Horny Doe in Heat' scent to sprinkle on your dummies, for heaven's sake don't spill any down your kilt! 8O )

Becs and The Gang

1 - 7 of 7 Posts