Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend whose dog has nails that crack and split. Just on the front, and only one or two, one of them grows long and thin.
She seems to walk on her heels and her nails don't touch the floor.
The vet first said she may have a form of Arthritis and when challenged , he changed his tune to Lupoidonychodystrophy.
I looked it up on google and, it seems to be something which usually happens in greyhounds.
The pictures on there are nothing like this bitches feet. She also doesn't have any other of the given symptoms. She is very fit and well and charges chasing rabbits and deer at every opportunity.
Does anyone have any ideas on the nail cracking theory?
She is a Rottweiler, sister to my Jac.
Sherry

·
Registered
179 Posts
I found:
Standard therapy (tetracycline = antibiotic, Omega-3-fatty acids and vitamin B3 = nicotinamide) and dietetic feed

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Hi Sherry.

My lab has slo, (symmetrical lupoid onochodystrophy ) It started on her front right, then about a month later became apparant on her front left. Now all are affected.

I will find a link to her treatment and post for you. Roxy is also fit and well. No other health issues at all. With with slo you are looking at alot of guess work without the biopsy of the nail bed, and in some cases amputation of a toe.

Roxy is starting to walk back on her heels, but knowing how sore her feet have been I am not surprised.

Off to find you the link to her thread and treatment

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that Jac, how is your dog now? Is the medication for life?
What medication is your dog on now and what is the dosage?

Renate, you mentioned 'dietary' is there something in the food which is a problem?

sherry

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
The medication has started and will continue at this level for 1 month, she will then have another ga to remove any more loose nails.

The plan is to reduce the dosages until we reach a level where it is under control. I will post dosages in a while as I am not at home at the mo.

She is fed on James wellbeloved, and at the moment the vet does not want me to change anything so we can just concentrate on medication.

Although it is said to be for life there have been cases I have heard of which have needed one course of treatment and have then been ok, I have also heard of links to the KC vaccine although these are not proven, Roxy was given KC vacc at the end of April as she had to go into kennels in May. Her symptoms started in June.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Glad Jac has already posted - as soon as I read your post Sherry I thought of Roxy as it sounded so similar....

Hope it gets sorted quickly as it sounds a nasty and painful condition!

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Dosages are.

Nicotinamide 250mg x 2 daily
Oxytet 250mg x 6 daily
2 pumps viacutan x 2 daily.

It is trial and error and wil take some time for nail growth and to see if there is improvement.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that. Can I ask, how long did it take to realise there was a problem. My friend is beside herself worrying that the dog has been in pain a long time and she didnt know it. But this dog charges everywhere, she doesn't do slow.
Sherry

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Well, it started with limping on front paw, so a week of rest and she was better, then after a couple of days limping again, so I took her to the vet. She has anti imflams and rested for another week.

Again a few days later limping, so back to the vet. Then noticed a nail bed infection, so anti biotics, salt soaks for paw and rest.

A week later and she was fine, so back on full excercise, then noticed she was limping, had a good look and saw the nails were splitting, then had a good look at all paws and they were all starting to go.

Back to the vets ( no 1) who cut off sore nails and was meant to send them off to vet college to see, but he forgot !

So after waiting for them to return, and then to be told they had never been sent, I went to vet no.2

He took her in following day and did thyroid test and full blood tests, biopsy's of nail beds and sent everything off. 4 days later we had our results, she is perfectly healthy in every way apart from her nails.

She lost her dew claws last week, and 1 more on the back. The claws as they grow back will be very weak, and she will have them kept very short to try and save them as much as possible.

She was obviously in pain, and there is no way you could miss it, so I would think your friends dog has something different or is in the very early stages.

Let me know how she gets on.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wonder if it would be worth her vet hav ing a comflab with your vet as he (her vet) seems to be all at sea with this.
where abouts are you?
sherry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts