Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

For a while now Beck has yelped when I've tried to dry his front left paw...I'd had a good feel around his foot and pads but could see nothing. He isn't limping and runs around as normal on his walks. Over Xmas I managed to have a real close look and noticed that he has a split in one of his nails which seems to run most of the way up the nail...it's hard to tell if it is all the way as he is black and his nail is black and he's none too keen on me broddling about with it. I've been putting antiseptic ointment on it and washing it after walks, but a colleague said that if it is split at the root it will keep growing out split and I need to take him to the vet for the whole nail taking off!

I don;t mind doing this if it is necessary and wondered if anyone had experience of this. An older relative of mine told me to clean it and put super glue on...!

WOuld he need a general anasthetic to have it removed or could they do it with a local?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi there, about a year ago George ripped his dew claw.

They tied a rope around his muzzle (I know it did seem weird) and we held him and the vet trimmed off the hanging nail. She then put some betadine on it an wrapped it up. He managed the pathetic "my sore paw" look for a bit and the nail started harding up and growing back within the week.

It would also depend how it is split. Only way is to see the vet.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Definitely see the vet. Lexi split hers and was ok on the road but anywhere else she was hopping lame. She had to have it removed because every time she touched the ground it opened hence the pain. It has now grown back fine.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Lucan had a dew claw that he split several times, once it was so loose the vet was able to just pull it off, another time he had to be sedated and they took the whole nail off. They are left with the bright red quick which looks awful but this soon dries up and the new nail grows back over several weeks.
The danger of a split nail is if an infection gets into the nail bed, if left or undetected it can track down into the bone which can ultimately end up with a toe amputation. I would always get a vet to look at a split that's running down through the claw especially if the dog is limping or not happy to have it touched.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had kind of prepared myself for a vet trip, but as it wasn't bothering him when he is on his walks I thought maybe it would just grow out, but as some of you suggest, infection could have got in to the nail bed and bone...Hope he won;t be out of acion for too long as he goes stir crazy if he doesn't get two hour walks a day through the woods!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts