1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody …

Hoping for some advice / words of encouragement / views / opinions etc

I'll try to keep it reasonably short…

5 weeks ago my 2 year old Lab (Tilly) hurt her back chasing a ball on the beach.

Basically she ran after the ball and upon slowing herself down in the sand to get the ball something gave in her back. she started yelping and turning around a few times and her back legs wouldn’t support her. It was so bad she needed a toilet on the way back to the car - she virtually sat down on the beach to do it as she couldn’t squat very well.

so I got her home and she was having a lot of trouble walking, her back was all hunched up and she was obviously struggling.

So to cut a long story short we went to the vets and she got painkillers etc he didn’t think it was neurological and then a few days later she had some x rays to check her spine etc ( by this point she could walk a lot better but sitting was a problem )

in laymans terms the vet said she had 'almost slipped a disc' and she has been on rest for 5 weeks now. basically this is to make sure the scar tissue heals.
next week she goes back to the vets and there's a chance he may be allowing her to do some hydrotherapy…fingers crossed.

To look at her now you wouldn’t think there was anything wrong with her..she isnt 100% - she walks to the side on occasion and I don’t think her rear leg is entirely 100% but she is very lively and bouncy and wants to play ( she has never really not wanted to play.. typical Lab !) etc so we are positive but I just can't help feeling afraid that this could happen again. it will worry me throwing a ball for her and leting her run and roll around in the grass with her sister :-/

I guess I just want to know if wanybody else's lab has suffered anything similar and whether they made a full recovery or if they still have recurring problems…

Thanks

sorry its so long!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I had a lad who chipped a disc in his spine once... i also had a dog hit by a car and he had deep deep soft tissue injuries. the healing process was lengthy, boring, and I must admit they probably did a lot more than they SHOULD have done in that time because how many of us REALLY have the patience for 6 weeks lead only walking or cage rest?

But they both made old bones, and never had a related problem afterwards ever.... If you do your very best to go with the rest advice, and you see slow progress, and then when you see a LOT of progress, still act with caution and wrap them up a bit in cotton wool for a bit longer, give it 6 months and this will be a thing of the past.

It will probably be hard to go down on the beach and relax for a while, but I must admit, and this is just a fact not a judgement, SO many accidents and ijuries occur with dogs chasing and doing the handbrake turns and twisty leaps catching and chasing, i really think chasing except possibly into safe water isn't a great idea for ANY dog beyond the odd one now and then...

Might be best to bin the 'chasing' games just to be sure for the future incase there is a weakness there... maybe work on 'hunting it out' games instead, they are just as fun.

Di xx

·
Administrator
20,497 Posts
I guess I just want to know if wanybody else's lab has suffered anything similar and whether they made a full recovery or if they still have recurring problems…
Not Labrador, but a neighbour's English Setter had what sounds like an identical injury while running over a ploughed field. Took a while of rest followed by steady walking but he made a full recovery.

Regards, John

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both … that helps settle my mind somewhat.

she has made A LOT of progress … if anybody was to see her in the street they wouldn’t think she had had an accident at all but we are still keeping her to rest ( as much as possible ) at least until the next vet visit on thursday and then fingers crossed she can start doing some hydrotherapy and maybe light walks to ease her back into it.

its so hard to keep a lab indoors for 6 weeks isnt it!

it’s a good point about chasing balls Diana - the slamming the brakes on is exactly what caused the problem so yes - we will not be throwing any balls around for a long while yet.
I appreciate you taking the time to post

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My English Pointer suffered a severe spinal injury back in May when another dog ran into him taking out his front legs, he went over the top of the other dog and landed on his head! He seemed fine for a while but didn't want to run, unheard of for a Pointer, then over the next few days developed what looked like fits with his neck and shoulder muscles twitching and shaking. The vet put him on painkillers and rest for several weeks which initially worked but he suddenly worsened so was sent to Bristol to be seen by a neurosurgeon. Turned out to be a herniated disc in his neck that was squashing his spinal cord, he could have died or been paralysed at any moment! Surgery was his only option, it went well, he spent 5 days as an in patient, then was sent home for 3 weeks total rest followed by another 5 weeks of short lead walks.
It's been a very, very long, slow recovery and I was totally paranoid for quite a while about his safety when he was finally allowed off lead but I can honestly say he's now back to his normal happy, lively self.

Follow your vet's advice to the letter and I'm sure your dog will make a full recovery too. x

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Sort of similar to Mandy's above with my golden retriever. His problem was a cyst in his neck that was pressing on his spinal column. This was a problem that showed up after he was tied up in our garden (teenage son who was fed up with him escaping) and he must have struggled. Vets think he must have had the cyst from birth though. His problem was found with a MRI scan and the cyst was removed (8hr op). After a week in the vet school and two weeks of being unable to walk at all he made an amazing recovery. 5 years on no one would ever know he had ever had a spinal problem. He did a lot of swimming and I'm sure that helped rebuild his strength.

Hope Tilly makes a full recovery soon.

Eileen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts