Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

I've read about the wonder of spinach & how it aides in maintaining their coats.... Does any one give their labbies spinach....

With me i do at times mix some blanched & blended spinach , rice and yoghurt :D ...he loves it so makes life easy...

S

·
0 Posts
I have been giving Corrie spinach every day in his meal for a few years now. I read about it in a Labrador Rescue newsletter about it helping with itchy skin which Corrie use to suffer from. It certainly seems to have helped Corrie.

Sam

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Sam,

Do you know if Spinach is basically for skin and coat or does it have other beneficial properties?

Vidhya, I can see with Black or chocolate Labs whose coats can shine, but as Frodo is also a Yellow what difference do you see in his coat?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have read that spinach, being high in oxalic acid, can interfere with the absorbtion of calcium

For that reason I would limit the amount given but depends on how its being fed. If its in its original state then anything it contains is unlikely to get into the dogs system, good or bad

Only by feeding pulped or pureed veggies can a dog utilise the nutrients contained in them

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Nigel,

So, which veggies are ok in moderation then ? And those not to be used? Do you know where I can look....

Got all the plants 'n' stuff and general toxins but some of 'our ' food still evades me a bit.

I know of the basics, like chocolate, dark, escpeciaslly, and have heard onions are bad too? Didn't find this out until Tills had polished of my spag bog though :(

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi mommy

Vegetables fall into two groups, above ground veg such as cabbage, cauliflower, calabrese etc., and below ground such as potatoes, carrots, etc., If you are going to feed vegetables then its important to mix them up, never just feed one type. Generally speaking above ground veg will encourage loose stools and below ground will firm them up

Apart from, as you say, onions which are a definite no no, Rhubarb is best avoided and iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value but most other veggies are ok as long as too much of one type isnt given

As for quantities, a dog really has very little need for vegetables. It is a carnivore after all and the only plant based food it would eat in the wild is the stomach contents of its prey. There are many owners of very healthy dogs who only ever feed meat

Those owners who do supplement their dog's raw meat diet with veg generally add a tablespoonful or so of pureed slop to their food

If you are feeding a "complete" food already then vegetables are unnecessary nutritionally. However, things like a raw carrot do provide harmless recreational jaw exercise for a ever hungry lab! :wink:

Books on raw feeding by authors such as Ian Billinghurst and Kymythy Schultze contain information on feeding veggies to dogs

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Nigel,

Thanks for all that, appreciate it.

I do feed a complete food and don't add veggies in as food addition / supplement, but as she was growing up always gave her the odd nibble of whatever I was preparing to chomp on, cabbage, carrot and suchlike, the ' rawness ' and different texture helped distract her and certainly helped sore puppy gums and teeth !

Very interesting point about loose / firm stools ! Never knew that, potates and carrots it is then :wink:

Maybe one more, possibly dense question, :oops:
I eat brocalli every day as it is one of the few natural foods that combat colesterol..........would this have same effect in dogs? Or is that a totally blonde question ?

Anyway, slective chomping is now a nightly ritual and have been cautious about which nibbles were ok...hence the question...............

You have helped a lot....... :D thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
No such thing as a dense question Rhoni ... maybe some answers fall into that catagory though! :wink:

In this case I really dont know. My instinct is that it probably dosent have the same effect considering just how different a dog's dietary system is to ours. Again, for them to derive any benefit from eating it it would have to be pulped so the nutrients can be absorbed but feeding whole raw veg isnt going to do any harm, like you say, has the benefit of keeping them occupied and is good jaw exercise

Keep on chomping ... both of you! :D

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Nigel that was so informative....

Rhoni....Yoghurt and spinach has helped frodo's excessive shedding...Now i think its modertae shedding thought after a bath he still does tend to shed a lot.... cannot avoid bath if u live in this part of the world.....

I think i should start giving frodo boiled & smashed potatoes mixed with some beans or carrots....

Nigel sadly in my case we are vegetarians and don't feed Frodo meat or fish :cry: ....So i have to look out for veggie options

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I know this is slightly different. But I have found if a dog has an upset stomach smash or a shops own brand is very good to give just made up with water not milk and butter helps to bind them. It is something I keep in the cupboard together with re-hydrate, and also live natuarl yogurt in the fridge, not only for dogs but for humans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts