Please don’t take this as a criticism but I am surprised that a vet is spaying at 6 months old! There is a current philosophy of spaying early, in some countries as early as 8 weeks old! But I would by far prefer to allow a bitch to have one season first. Bitches spayed early are often found to only very slowly mature mentally. Vets prefer to spay approximately half way between seasons but at 6 months old your puppy could come into season at any time now, which is an added complication.
Having said all that, now to your question. When my Bethany was spayed, I brought her home at around 4pm as well. Beth asked to go outside and my other Labrador which I had at the time, Lucy, went out with her. On the corner of the lawn Beth laid down, rolled onto her back to show Lucy her "Operation scar" then raced her to the top of the garden and back! I'm afraid I was standing there having kittens, but it didn’t seem to do her any harm!!! It is a serious operation, but unfortunately dogs don’t know that. Try to keep her quiet for a few hours and try to not feed her too heavily. A little boiled rice would be ideal. You may find, being a Labrador she will not take kindly to being deprived of her usual meal but it would pay to steel yourself just this once! It won’t do her any harm to miss out for once! Try to restrict too much free running until after the stitches are out.
Lastly, try not to worry! We all do even though the operation has been performed many times before.
no criticism taken!
I had a discussion with the Vet about this when she was having a check up at about 3months,
She told me that the current thinking following some extensive surveys is that spaying before a season doesn't make any difference later in life.
Any problems that occur are likely to occur anyway!.
Thanks for the information on how you'rs coped...I guess we'll have to see how Molly is
Edie was spayed 2 weeks ago today and she's doing great. When she came home in the afternoon she was still a little wobbly from the anaesthesia and stumbled around some - the poor girl. She had a bit to eat and then just slept the rest of the evening. The next day she was slightly subdued but that was about it. The following day she was back to her happy Labby self.
The vet had her back in 2 days to check on her and then the stitches were out in a week. We were told not to let her go up and down stairs and to keep her calm and quiet for a couple of weeks. That really has been the most difficult part - how can they ask that of a young lab with a straight face? :lol:
I'm sure Molly will do fine, I wish you all the best keeping her calm! :-D
I am sure Molly will be fine. My vet generally keeps them in overnight, but I personally was not keen. I would rather have them home and look after them myself.
I am of the same opinion as John I would wait until after the first season, and then spay about 3 months after. I realise a lot of vets now say that early sapying will stop any mammary tumours in the future, but I am a believer to allow the bitch to mature more before spaying. Please do not think I am critisising every vet seems to have their own views on this. Do not worry she will be fine.
As Megaloo says, Vets often recommend spaying to prevent mammary tumours but to me that is just scare tactics! I'm afraid the mammary tumours talk by vets is a bit of a red herring. During the last 50 years I have only had one dog which had a mammary tumour! Let's face it. Hysterectomy would never be considered as a preventative measure for schoolgirls! The usually quoted figure is that it reduces the risk, but the risk is already very low anyway.
we're back from the vets, it's all change!
Having met with the surgical vet (someone we vaguely recognised from Vets in Practise!)
She gave us some advise, and felt that in smaller dogs spaying before the first season is fine, but with breeds such as labs it's usually better to wait until after the first season. So we took her advice and brought Molly straight home!.
We will aim to now get her done 2-3 months after her first season.
Theres a relief certainly from me, as I wasn't quite sure we were doing the right thing, but followed a vets advice.
In this case I would rather follow the advice of the vet performing all the operations!
I am so glad that you have had another opinion, I am sure your mind is at rest now. It is difficult when there are so many differences of opinion. But personally I have always been in favour of waiting until after the first season. Good luck for when she is done Meg