Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my dog went into her first heat on the 8th of December and bled for about 26 days. Her teats and vulva have remained large even up to now. I have her booked in to get spayed on the 10th march but was wondering whether this is a bit early??

Over the last couple of days I've noticed that she's started nesting and been whining quite a lot, and very restless. Has anyone experienced this and how long does it last? My concern is that if I get her spayed on the 10th march, are her hormones going to be all over the place and affect her personality after being spayed (I'm probably being paranoid, I know, lol)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :).

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Sounds like a phantom pregnancy, I'd chat to your vet, we had this with Jazz.

She was prescribed Galastop then spayed, our vet was keen to spay because she had a phantom pregnancy after her first season.

Your vet will advise tho :)

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I rang my vet when Coco was still a bit swollen and producing milk 10 weeks post season, I had planned to have her spayed the following week as I was off work all week and needed to know if she could still be done whilst in a phantom. It was really lucky that the vet asked to see her because when I took her in it turned out she was suffering from an open pyometra and was losing a discharge.

I think it is not normally desirable for a dog to be spayed whilst having a phantom pregnancy but in our circumstances it was a medical necessity.

It would definitely be worth checking with the vet to see if they will spay, though if they are anything like my practice they won't give you a decision over the phone and will end up charging you a consultation fee. If there are any other symptoms e.g. vomiting, diarrhoea, temperature, drinking more than usual, lack of appetite, then it is probably worth an examination.

Spaying would definitely be good at the earliest opportunity as I've heard that once a bitch has had a phantom then it is likely that they will get worse after subsequent seasons.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this as i now have my 1st girl, so i have no idea about these issues.
Hope everything turns out ok for you.

My Poppy is just a pup so this won't raise it's head for a while yet.

I've heard there are different spay procedures such as keyhole which is less obtrusive, will your girl have this type of op? or is this not an option.

sorry if i'm changing the subject, best wishes.

Gary, Toby and Poppy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roxy will just be getting a standard spay. I wish it could be keyhole that would be far less drastic. I know, Roxy is my first female dog and the whole heat season has taken me a bit by surprise. I didn't realise how much the hormones affect them. I had put up a previous post in December about her heat and got some good replays then, so when your little pup is at that stage you can have a look at that too. Thanks for the reply and good luck when your poppy goes through her season.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think Nicola has said in France the keyhole is the norm (ovariectomy). I suppose it is worth asking your vet (or asking others). IIRC no problems and the girlies recovered quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I agree with others, get her checked by vet for phantom pregnancy.

My spaniel had a phantom pregnancy and also got mastitis and was pretty poorly. I booked her to spayed about 3 weeks after and vet checked her to make sure she was over the phantom before he would go ahead.

Chloe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts