Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found the tell-tale sign dropped on the floor and suddenly worried that vet had conned me!

I've done a bit of tinternet searching and found this article http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/pregnancyreproduction/f/FAQ_spayheat.htm

and have calmed a little! Luna had the take ovaries and uterus job so pretty sure she won't get in the family way. Has anyone else experienced?

Luna had her first season at the beginning of Oct 2008 at the age of 5 and half months, very little bleeding and no swelling noticeable. She was then spayed at the beginning of Dec. I'm pretty sure that earlier this year she 'bled' - at the time I thought it was mud! because couldn't believe that it was blood and it was in the car where she lies muddy!!

If she is still 'having a cycle' it explains some of the extra cuddly behaviour she's had recently, explains the interest a couple of entire males were showing in her the other day and explains the territorial scratching she's been doing after toileting. All of this I hadn't jigsawed together until now!

I'm considering having a chat with vet to see if anything else is going on and to see if there is anyway of checking easily that she was spayed ok. I have no reason to think she has any sort of infection as the article above suggests.

I'm wondering now what the etiquette is! If she's not at risk of pregnancy do I walk her as normal and distract males from their owners?!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Blimey - well now... how unusual. Losing BLOOD but not being in season. My first thought was 'get her checked out there must be something nasty going on', but the other hormonal issues you mention sound very much like a season.

A spay removed the womb so there is nowhere presumably for 'season blood' to build..... it must be a 'show'.... I really would get her checked with so many signs shouting 'in season' and till she is checked I would keep her home. More for the hassle she will get rather than risk of pregnancy which HAS to be zero... if he spayed her properly...

Di

G

·
I have heard of this in cats but not so far in dogs. It's something to do with a tiny amount of Ovary tissue left behind I think and this still releases the season hormones.

I'm not sure what you can do about it, apart from try to avoid heavily doggy areas while she is smelling good. It is a pain though, as my Tara retained a certain smell that some boys (and some girls) found attractive after her emergency spay....but she exuded it all the time, so I just had to be prepared when walking her around other dogs.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Is Luna on any medication? My dog developed season-like symptoms and was VERY attractive to entire males, but it turned out that the medication she was on for a UTI induced weird hormonal changes in her. A friend's 14year old spayed GSD also developed the same symptoms when she was on UTI meds too (and she wasn't amused by the all the male attention :lol:).

Sham

·
Registered
224 Posts
Laura, this whole post feels really spooky to me. A friend of mine had her 6-year-old bitch called LUNA spayed in March. The bitch felt quite sick afterwards and never really seemed to catch up with the recovery. The owner had wondered all the time, why she was acting as if she was about to become in heat. And the males around her showed extraordinary much attention to her. And then: she started her season, incredibly yes, a month after the operation.

The owner wasn't too happy about it, because she had paid lots of money for the operation and it didn't seem to have succeeded. She booked a time again to that same veterinarian and found out that the vet had made a little mistake. She had removed the uterus and one ovary, but left the other one inside. That had caused her to start her season!

The poor dog had to go through another operation, which was far away from a routine spaying. The ovary had developed loads of scar tissue around it, which in turn had damaged her bowel severely. She did recover, though, and the vet was really, really sorry for everything (she actually cried). Poor dog was quite close to death and still needs to eat special food because of the bowel damage (paid by the veterinarian, of course).

Can you check your vet, if it is possible that one of the ovaries is still inside of her??

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
So she had the full "conventional" spay?

I looked into what they call a "key-hole/laparoscopic" spay and even with that, where they just remove the ovaries, the bitch doesn't come into season.

I think I would give the vet a call too, hope she's ok :grouphuuug:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Poor Luna. I think you're right to get the vet to check her.

Didn't she have some x-rays recently? Would they confirm both ovaries are removed without her needing anymore sedation to check, or would ovaries not show on an x-ray anyway?

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

Have called the vet and taking her in tomorrow morning for a check over. The nurse who answered said that ovary could've been left in as that causes season like behaviour - the only way of checking is to open her up, which they wouldn't do tomorrow.

She was spayed by the vet over in Belgium so this is the new one she'll be seeing tomorrow. I had ultrasound when my ovaries were checked - I'm guessing vets don't have??

I kind of hope they find something else going on that needs brief treatment (she isn't on any meds at the mo apart from glucosamine supplements) as seems silly to have her opened up just to check but...

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Good luck for tomorrow, I hope she doesn't need opening up again :(

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been surfing.

Ovarian Remnant Syndrome (ORS) could be the problem. It seems that a progesterone test could give some idea of whether ovary tissue is definitely present or not so will be asking for this or ultrasound (if there is a vet with one nearby) before agreeing on op. Looks like ultimately it is a 2nd op to sort out though :evil:

She's being extra grouchy today, has upset my clean laundry basket and dug it and has now collapsed in an unusual position in the hall! Has been eating plenty of grass too - dangly evidence!!!!

Rather miffed describes my current mood! :roll:

Thanks for the well wishes - will hold off on paying out for KC Citizen and agility classes until have a better idea what going on :roll: Could do without making her rest AGAIN!!!!! :(

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well we are back from the vets. They examined Luna and didn't think there was anything else going on so top of the list of suspicion is some ovary left behind so that she's still having seasons.

They were relieved that they hadn't done spay! She's had an injection today (which she hated! I've never heard her cry like that before!) that will show in blood taken in 1-3wks time whether or not she has hormones present causing season. All we can do is wait and be aware that although - hopefully! - she is unable to carry any pups, she will be sending the usual signals out to local dogs that she can :roll: :roll:

The only way to solve the problem is to have her opened up again to remove any remaining ovary :roll:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Sorry it hasn't been resolved more swiftly for you. Fingers crossed for the bloods in a few weeks time
x

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Just caught up with this Laura - so sorry to hear what you and Luna have been going through...

My only experience is with a cat, when we had the delights of the local Toms come visiting! That was some ovarian tissue left behind and needed a second op to remove it. It did solve the problem though!!

Hope all goes well with the blood test result - and you get her sorted quickly....

Poor love!!

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
poor Luna

Im horrified on your behalf that such a thing could have happened.

I hope she is ok.

My comment (before reading all of your replies) is that I know dogs still experience a change in hormones regardless of being spayed or not. The hormones will peak and dip just as in a bitch which still has usual seasons.

Please keep us updated on this.

The only other suggestion I can offer, which may be entirely "naff" is to give her evening primrose oil. it may help regulate her hormones.

you can always ask the vet if it will help.

poor little one.

Hope this all works out for you quickly.

Regards
Heidi

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the well-wishes and advice Heidi.

We head back vet-wards so bloods can be taken next week so results can be got ASAP!

She's certainly acting hormonal - demanding attention but not knowing whether she wanted it for play, food, cuddles or anything at all when she gets it. That alternating with cuddling up or even crawling onto my lap to sleep! She's not herself. Will ask the vet about any supplements which could help her through.

The thing bothering me now is that I didn't pay attention to the season signs she had in April time, I put behaviour down to being made to rest due to fracture and blood marks (she only has a few for a few days so nothing REALLY noticeable) confusedly noticed but disregarded cos she'd been spayed :roll:

Oh well, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the support - will keep you informed!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts