Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,
My darling Amber is a Fox Red Lab/Retriever, she was spayed at the age at 7mths and is now 25mths old, she started with spay incontenance last summer and it has got more frequent bless her. Amber only leaks when she's asleep it can be small to a large amount and she gets very upset and distressed, she is on medication from the vets called Incurin for 10 days and has still had at least one accident while she slept. Does anyone have any pointers or ideas for me.
thanks
Jules

·
Administrator
20,601 Posts
Incurin can take some time to get into the system before it takes effect, so there is time yet. I imagine your bitch is on one tablet daily? This is normal. But it may be that your vet will want to up the dosage to 2 tablets, so it would certainly be worth talking to him/her.

Sadly spay incontinence is quite common, particularly with early spaying. That's why I always recommend 18 months minimum. For my part these days I normally spay at around 5 years old. (Chloe was 5 in January this year and was spayed last week.)

John :)

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Early spay and incontinence is more frequently common I'm afraid, which is why I always say to people to spay at around 2 years of age with a bitch.

Out of interest, did your vet advise early spay? If so, I'd have a word with them about the results of the spay incontinence and be suggesting they need to pay for the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
spay Incontenance

Hi
No the Vet didn't suggest it, I researched it and suggestion was to do this just before the first season was due at around 6-7 mths old. But thanks anyway

Jules

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Hi
No the Vet didn't suggest it, I researched it and suggestion was to do this just before the first season was due at around 6-7 mths old. But thanks anyway

Jules
It's a shame you didn't ask on here or a similar forum as there's a lot more evidence now to suggest delaying spaying until they are fully mature, for several reasons, and spay incontinence is just one of them. Let's hope it's a minor hiccup and she recovers, my old girl who was spayed at over 2 has had slight spay incontinence on and off, but not all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts