Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all users
Have tried searching for related topics but can't find anything similar.
Im after some advice.....
We had our 7month old Poppy spay on Thursday using the traditional spay and not via keyhole. Anyhow op went well and Poppy happy and wound healing well until yesterday. When I noticed a black type blister in between the wound and soreness/red swelling around the area. Contacted vet immediately who saw her and advised that most likely shed been licking the wound (wasn't possible as been wearing buster collar) gave me some antibiotics incase of infection and sent us home.
Anyhow about 6hrs later last night I noticed fresh red blood on the carpet after she had been to toilet (urine) outside. I immediately checked the wound and it was bleeding. Panic set in and I called the vet....they told me to.compress the wound until the bleeding stopped. However after 10minutes this made it worse and the blood started dripping/running from the wound, soaking a tea towel. The blood was watery red, the vet advised that because it was out of hours I would need to pay a large sum of money upfront for her to be seen.....after staying up with her all night it seems the fluid came from the blister as this has now disappeared.
My question is has anyone had this happen? Is it normal? As the vet didn't explain/warn us of anything like this. Also surely such complications regardless of the time of day should be covered via a post op consultation.
Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It sounds like a haematoma had developed under the wound which burst and caused the watery blood loss. In some cases a small drain is put in to stop pressure on the suture line. If it continues to leak I'd go back and get it checked.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Hope she is ok now. I'd have serious words with the vet as bad or non existent advise isn't the way it should be.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Do hope all okay with her

Judy had a slight complication with her spay.
She was keyhole if I recall correct and developed a slight infection which had to be drained. All ended well though

Blimey. Is that really FIVE years ago?!?!? Time has flown and every day I've loved that dog just a little bit more!!!!

Get well soon to Poppy

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I would take her back to the vets and get her checked out anyway. Don't take any nonsense from them the check should be covered by what you paid for her spay. Give them a ring this morning.

I'm guessing the vets contract out their out of hours service, most of them do nowadays and that's why they asked for payment.

·
Administrator
20,570 Posts
the vet advised that because it was out of hours I would need to pay a large sum of money upfront for her to be seen
There is no way that a vet should charge for follow up treatment resulting from an operation performed by them. Personally I would be going to see them and demanding to see the practice manager and reading the riot. That is simply not on! To have a dog bleeding from the site of an operation performed by them and to be effectively told to clear off and come back in the morning is totally unacceptable.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
8,805 Posts
There can quite often be a build up of bloody watery stuff post spay or any surgery. Coco has similar and the vet used a needle to syringe it out (owie!)

As for the vet charging up front, I'd be reporting them to their professional body. That's outrageous! :evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts