Labradors Forums banner

Sophie is acting sick again??

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bradleysmum 
#1 ·
Sophie is a 2 1/2 year old Black Lab. She is normally very happy and loving ....likes almost any attention...sleeps with my wife in bed!
She likes to eat Marro Bones we initially microwaved em but she seems to like them raw....she has been eating raw bones for about 4 months.
Abou 10 days ago she spent the whole night restless, vomiting yellow stuff, really uncomfortable looking, she did not eat or drink. We took her to the ER and they didn't find anything specific. We did not have blood and x-rays taken but the vet did give her som Cimetadine for nausea, and also loaded her with water under the skin so she wouldn't dehydrate. She came home and finally slept. Next day she was fine.

Shes been fine since .....but....last night we stated a repeat of the same symptoms. She is currently the same as before but did eat some last night. (Rice&Chicken)...She is lying around now trying to get comfortable and seems to shiver repeatedly.

Anyone had this problem??? Could it be the bones. We make sure they are fresh and have no odor.

Help!!

G
#2 ·
Hi Rick

If Sophie was my labbie her paws wouldn't hit the ground I'd have her off to the vet so fast. I am a bit over cautious when it comes to sick dogs though, but she doesn't sound at all well.
Maybe she has something stuck in her system but she is clearly not well if she can't get comfortable, is shivering and still vomiting. Maybe an x ray would tell you if something is stuck in her system somewhere. I have found the trouble with labs is that they always want to please and therefore they don't complain about being ill and feeling pain but you know your own dog and something is obviously bothering her right now.
Let us know how you get on with her.

Michaela

#3 ·
Hi,definatley agree with our hound on this one,straight to the vets when my lad dylan starts bringing up the bile and as michaela says labbies are so good at not complaining but as she is over 2 now you should know your girl very well,so i would be taking her for a check up soonest possible,Lynne.

#4 ·
Hi RicknSoph,

Welcome to Labforums.

Really sorry to hear your Lab Sophie isn't too well at the moment, it could well be something to do with the bones, although i have never experienced anything like this before...always best to get the vet to check it out i think - i'm surprised your vet didn't x-ray her last time you took her.

Hope you get on ok - let us know how you get on, we are all here to help where we can.

Kind Regards

Julie

P.S Where do you come from?

#5 ·
hi rick n soph

yes i agree witht he others take her the vet again and try get x-rays done

is she choking/coughing as well?? im thinking maybe some of the bone has broken of or can them bones you give her splinter?? she could have a splinter stuck if so maybe she has a blockage somwere? is she going to the toilet at all?

i dont give my dogs bones at all as im scared they will splinter or they bite of more than they can chew..lol.. i only give the jumbo bones...

but take her back the vet as soon as you can she sounds like she has a temp as well with all the shivering she is doing hope she gets well soon

#6 ·
Sick puppy

Hi rick n soph

Just to let you know I am having a similar situation as you with my little 5 month old chocolate pup Tia, although not involving a bone. This time last week she started throwing up yellow bile and was generally very unwell, disinterested in food and drink and totally unlike her usual bouncy self. I took her to the vets the same day and she was admitted for possible gastroenteritis as there had been a virus going round and they had had several dogs come in with the same symptoms. The vets kept her in from the Friday through to Sunday as she became very dehydrated so was put on a drip to rehydrate her. It was awful! Anyway, she got her back Sunday and she seemed to pick up quickly on small amounts of bland stuff (chicken, rice, fish etc) and seemed back to her normal self. However, on Tuesday she started to throw up in the evening so I rang the vet who suggested I took her over in the morning. They then sent her for a scan to a Referral Clinic at Newmarket, where they found nothing. Tia is very small for her age (13.5 kilos) and this was concerning them as she was losing weight rapidly. She was then sent for an xray to rule out any blockages and this showed up some possible gas in her stomach which may have been caused by a blockage. So they opened her up but found nothing. Since then she has stayed at the vets for more fluids and basically to build her up. Its been a nightmare! I miss her terribly. Hopefully, we are picking her up tomorrow. We still dont know what has caused the vomiting, but please do see your vet just to put your mind at ease about Sophie. I agree with Michaela that labbies are very good at not complaining. Apparently Tia has been a little dream (I don't think the nurses want her to go home!) Also thank goodness for pet insurance, (the bill is already £300 and climbing!).

Good luck,
Sally

#7 ·
HI
I would do as the others have said take her to the vet. Any dog that cannot get comfortable and shivering maybe in a lot of pain, and also have a temperature. All vets should have a referral telephone number, even if they are not on call themselves. Do not delay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.