Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I got Sophie at 9 weeks. She is now 11 weeks. My name is Tom and I live with my wife Megan and son Dylan who is 7.
I had a black lab along time ago but she died of poisoning at age 3. Needless to say I am probably over protective with Sophie. She vommited today soon after eating and again after eating her next meal. She has been fine on the food I have been giving her before. (Beta puppy chicken & rice). I supose she my have swallowed a stone or something from the garden. She had her first lot of vaccinations just after I got her. The vet said she is very healthy. She is still playful and doesn't seem depressed or sick.
The books and this web site say to take her to the vet if secere vomiting developes. I don't believe this is severe but what is? I'll keep her off food for tonight and see if it clears up by tomorrow. But if any one has any suggetions or wants to offer me some advice I would appreciate it.
Other than this immediate worry Sophie is bundles of fun and seems to be adapting very well to our family life. I am looking forward to the day when I can take her out of the house.
I like this web site. There is a lot of interesting things to read which are informative and fun. I am glad to introduce myself to a community of lab owners.
Tom

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Tom

Welcome to Lab Forums. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your previous lab but I'm pleased that you've found a new friend in the form of Sophie.

I can understand you being worried in this case based on your previous experiences. Smudge had a day one Sunday where he vomited after eating for no apparent reason but was otherwise just as playful and alert. We did not take him to the vet as he was fine that evening and from then on. I assume that they can be like us and just feel a bit unwell for no apparent reason at times.

If you are in any doubt whatsoever though, I would telephone the vet and ask for their advice, anything to put your mind at rest.

All the best and I do hope that Sophie is feeling better soon.

Nicola.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum, a great place for friendly advice!
Our black lab Shadow is now 7, but as a puppy and until a couple of years ago would vomit up his food whilst being bouncy in his self. We would them not feed him anything at his next meal, but by 24 hours later he was scoffing his face (as they do!) We were told by our vet that if it lasted for more than 24 hours, ie vomitting regularly over that time, to consult the vet, otherwise he would be ok. The last few years he has done it less and less, until it rarely happens now and we seem to have a very happy lab who is, as I type, happily ripping an egg box to shreds!
As I said, this is my own personal findings, and I'm sure others here will give you the benefit of their advice too, it really is the best place for advice!
I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with Sophie, enjoy!
Cheers,

Paul & Shadow

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Tom,welcome to the forum hope you and sophie have a great life to-gether,dylan was on beta puppy when we got him and was vomiting all the time,then he kept having the runs and still vomits now even though he is 16 months old,i have a terrible job trying to get dylan to eat if you have read some posts you might be familiar with some of the problems we have,dylan i think is the exception but i would see my vet just in case as sophie is still young and it's probably nothing to worry about ,Take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear All,

Thanks for your reply's. I feel quite reassured but I will be keeping a close eye on her and call the vet if the vomiting continues tomorrow.

Thanks
from Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts