Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been a couple of weeks since I posted on here so I thought I would give a little update on the joys and not so joyous delights of double dog ownership!

The first week we brought little Elphie home was eventful. Skylar sulked the whole week and we were beginning to think we had lost her forever. Our usual bouncy, affectionate, waggy tailed friend had definitely left the building! Instead a sullen, slow paced, misery replaced her. To say we were worried was an understatement. Her initial reaction to Elphie was by all accounts very good, and she played with her for ages...and although she continued to play, she all but ignored us! She took great pleasure though in jumping in and telling Elphie off if we did, by nudging her in the neck. :eek: Its almost as if she was thinking good you little rascal!
Skylar also went right off her food, and seemed to prefer to sit and watch Ephie eat. We did all the right things and fed Skylar first, but to no avail. We are still having issues with this. We have put their bowls on opposite sides of the room. I know we are pandering, but Skylar needs to eat and we don't want her to start losing weight. (Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received).

Anyway a break through came on the Friday, a week after Elphie came home. We woke to find Skylar had come back to us! :D :D She was her old waggy tailed, jolly self again. It was almost as if she had decided well the pest is here to stay, so I might as well accept it.
They play along quite happily now, and Sky is a bit too soft with her and lets Elphie bite her ears, nose, face, paws etc etc. Also lets her eat her food!!! We are hopeful that as Elphie gets older that Sky will tell her off a bit more. We had to intervene last night and pull Elphie off Sky's nose before it bled! Sky is as daft as a brush with her!

Elphie has finally learnt her name though now, we did panic that she was deaf for a while. 8O She is a very independent pup and all but ignored every command we gave. But she has finally learnt to sit nicely now and is getting used to her collar and lead. She now comes back when we shout her name, much to the neighbours delight - I imagine! :D She also went from sleeping seven hours a night to waking every two or three for a wee. Thankfully last night she slept the full seven and half. Sleep is a much needed thing in our house. Her bark goes right through you, but she is learning that she can bark all she likes, but people only come when she is quiet!!!

All in all we have had a fun packed, sleep deprived, eventful two weeks. At times we have thought (only fleetingly) WHAT HAVE WE DONE!!!
But we love having two dogs and things can only get better as the song goes. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I just love your sig pic of Skylar and Elphie, it sometimes does take a while for an older dog to get used to having a youngster abou, not sure what to suggest about Skylar`s food problem, do they have crates? if so have you tried feeding her in it, that way she`s eating on her own "territory", it may work it may not :)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
_Mary_ said:
do they have crates? if so have you tried feeding her in it, that way she`s eating on her own "territory", it may work it may not :)
Hey great idea Mary. Skylar isn't crated anymore, but Elphie is, so I think I will try putting Elphie in her crate to eat away from Sky.

Thanks for the tip. :D

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate that seven hours is a long time for pup to sleep, but I am working full time too. So I think it is catching up on me, hence the moan. Is all good fun though.

Any more thoughts on the food situation would be most helpful.

Thanks. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts