Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted a question about the beach; but I waited until the bad coastal weather had past and finally we made it; a visit to the beach.

He absolutely loved it. I went with my friend and his 2yo bitch. Playing and following he has ran straight into sea once with no hesitation but didn't seem to mind.

The only thing is which I mentioned in another thread about exercise is; I felt pretty bad at how much activity he had. My plan was to have him on leash but test him off-leash as I wasn't planning on doing much but play on the sand and water. However, I let him run off-lead to play chase with Marley and he was off-leash for a good twenty minutes to half an hour. Chasing and playing with his pal, coming back to me and walking with me. He obvi had the energy for it and sometimes he did stop when he wanted but It wasn't until after it I thought maybe I shouldn't have allowed all that much intensity. Despite it being a very odd one off as I normally just take him a brief 5 to 10 to 15 minute on lead walk to the park and the odd game of fetch every other day. Considering he was only 14weeks I don't know if it was right or wrong for me to allow that intense beach session, with all the talk regarding minimising exercise.

On a second visit....

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I posted a similar thing when Tatze was 16 weeks old. JohnW put me firmly but kindly in my place!

This is what her said -

As to, "Have I done damage?" Well, thats a bit late now, and in any case no one could possibly know. If a dog's hips are perfect then it would take quite a bit to damage them, where if a dog's hips are poor then very little could do irreparable damage,and the problem is that we dont know the state of the hips until it's too late. Hence the guidance. If your pups hips are good then you will do no harm by being overly careful, but if your pups hips are less than perfect you might just save a lifetime of pain. Thats the thinking behind the 5 minute rule.

Regards, John
Here is the thread - http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-108249.html

:)

PS - he's LOVELY - and what a posh harness!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Sonny is so beautiful! Love his harness too.

I'm not the person to advise on too much exercise but it is so hard to stick to the 5 minute rule when they are so obviously enjoying themselves.

Susan and Poppy

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts