Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected sonny this morning. What a wee character. I will get some pictures up.

Car ride home I sat in the back with him but he was quite distressed by barking whelping getting comfy being quiet and repeat all the way home.

We arrived home just before 1, straight to the back door but with everyone making a fuss and without a lead he was bouncing about chasing and trying to eat leaves. I tried to give it at least 5 minutes but came in. 6 seconds later he peed on the kitchen floor ! Haha!

Gave him his lunch as it was very due then tried to settle him but it was hard with all the family excited and hoovering. He was going in and out his crate no bother himself but haven't closed it yet.

Went back outside just after two but nothing. Tried again outside 15mins later and he peed straight away but I missed it as it was on the grass and couldn't really tell because he never made any leg movement at all. Reason I know he did it is because I can smell it at that spot right now. So planning to go back to that stop later nut hard without a lead to restrict him bouncing and chasing leaves.

He is currently lying on the bedroom floor on a blanket sound a sleep snoring away. Feart to leave him though lol

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Awww bless him :)

If he falls asleep and you need to leave him don't be afraid to lift him gently and pop him in his crate with the door shut. Wee ones sleep a lot and it gets him used to having a nice cosy safe place to be his main bed. He needs peace and quiet from time to time. You'll no doubt end up with extra beds elsewhere when you can trust him more :wink:

And if you lift him outside when he wakes, after excited play, after meals and probably every hour anyway to begin with then you'll get most of his pee/poo in the right place. Just ignore accidents and praise the positives and he'll soon realise what you want.

We're not far from you, will send good vibes for a night's sleep ((()))

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!!

Doing okay.

Only thing at the moment is toilet. He's not been for a poo yet for me today. He's had his lunch then dinner there at 6ish. We went outside before his dinner as he woke up from a nap. Then outside after dinner but nope. Back to sleep now and could swear he frated. Lol

When we go outside the back door he just wants to eat everything from leaves and whatever he finds. I'm just taking them out his mouth obviously but feels like 10mins of that.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
He'll soon learn what's food and what's not.

Personally I wouldn't take stuff out of his mouth unless it's something worrying, like a slug.

I think taking it out makes it more 'valuable' and more likely to be swallowed. My niece did that with her pup and he still eats and swallows grass, leaves etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point about perhaps being more valuable but wouldn't he just eat it if I didn't remove it? Are they not dodgy for him? . Like I know eating grass for dogs makes them sick or is that a myth?

At this point I can see why an outdoor pen would be a bit easier as it would restricted his chance to roam but I guess that would also restricted his chance to sniff and find a good potty place.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Oh Loyal, YOU need to decide lots of stuff for him, even like where his poo place should be! I'm guessing you never had a wee boy doggie before. They don't lift a leg fora long time, some never, and it's not for a pee it's for scent marking anyway.

Give him time to settle in. But then you need to think for sure Who is the Leader in your family? If you don't let him know YOU know the score then he will feel quite insecure. Go online and get some info, ask here or just browse, lots of help. Or pm me if you get desperate, we're just up the road ;-)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Poor lad has been through a lot today, I'l sure you'll soon get more poo than you can shake a stick at :-D

If he eats a bit of grass (very normal) or leaf, don't worry. If he has a something you don't want him to have 'swap' him for something else (treat or toy). Also learn the 'show me' where he as something, he 'shows' you and you give it back.

Oh and piccies please!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice.

dotandmegan said:
Oh Loyal, YOU need to decide lots of stuff for him, even like where his poo place should be! I'm guessing you never had a wee boy doggie before. They don't lift a leg fora long time, some never, and it's not for a pee it's for scent marking anyway.
Where abouts in Ayrshire you from?

No, I've never had a lab before and never a puppy either. I had a GSD mix when I was a lot younger when growing up but never really experienced dealing with a puppy.

In overview now; yesterday as the first day went pretty well actually, even though I don't have anything to compare it too.

I thought I had everything mapped out, cued and ready to go with house-training but it's not until your in the situation the lack of experience kind of shows.

I had planned to go outside to the specific place I had choose to potty; wait there etc and give 'hurry hurry', but I never thought it would be as hard to contain him without a lead. ---- I'm not sure about going out with the lead now OR In the other thread, you mentioned you created a box area by say 3m x 2m to let them potty.. I' like the idea of that and perhaps that's why i thought about using a pen.

Last night went good... I slept him in his crate beside my bed.. I heard him wake up at half 1 and 4 and he done 2 pees and a poo during the night no problem.

Also the pee/poo place has been fenced off to make it maybe 2mx3m, big enough to let the pup select its spot but small enough to contain and make cleaning easier.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also with the crate last night, I could easily settle him outside the crate but couldn't inside it.... So as somebody said lift him in and he seems to lie down and settle then if I do that.

Slowly slowly

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congratulations on your new arrival. My puppy (just over 12 weeks now) tries to eat everything in the garden and I've gradually become more laid back about it - mainly because it's impossible to stop her! A favourite snack seems to be rose hips.
I hope you enjoy Sonny. I have found puppyhood quite demanding but am beginning to feel much happier now I can take Molly out and about.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Ohhhhh - he's perfect!! :love4:

loyalblue said:
Also the pee/poo place has been fenced off to make it maybe 2mx3m, big enough to let the pup select its spot but small enough to contain and make cleaning easier.
This is a great idea - it will save your grass from scorch marks too :)

*** Important point about the garden *** bulbs are highly poisonous to dogs - dig 'em all up and throw them away if you have any.

I have had dogs all my life but Tatze was my first ever puppy - exhausting but 100% rewarding. Much harder than having a baby as they don't wear nappies!! I made plenty of mistakes, but pooches are very adaptable. :)

Enjoy - they grow up in the blink of an eye!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Loyal, we're near Kilmarnock, so not that far. When he's bigger we should meet up for walkies. :D

Sounds like you're on the right track, with all the stuff to refer to on LF you can't really go wrong. We're on pup #5 for Guide Dogs but have *always* had a Lab around the house and currently have 2 pet Labs as well. However each pup is unique and you just have to get to know them and work together. Have fun :smilecolros:

ps Just love those photos - he's a smasher!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
One more thing.... about settling in the crate. Little pups adore being sheltered underneath (think about being protected under a 4 legged adult with teeth!), so being careful to protect my face, I often get half in the crate (not very dignified with my b*m sticking out :oops: ) and we have a little love-in and tickle to help settle at bed time, and of course there is always a huge soft toy to cuddle into BUT it has to have embroidered nose & eyes never hard button ones. The charity shop ladies always keep an eye out for me when we have a new pup coming so I get first call for a couple of squid :wink:

This is Vikki with her Big Ted in the box I then put in her crate to make it cosier (free from a grocer's - I'm a Fifer!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts