Labradors Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year old female chocolate lab and I have a few questions! I’m curious if her size is normal, she around 45 pounds and roughly 2-2.5 feet tall on all fours.. is this normal? Her mom and dad were much bigger mom was atleast 55 pounds.
Dog Plant Dog breed Fence Liver
Dog Wood Liver Working animal Carnivore

Dog Tartan Comfort Carnivore Wood

Also her ears are small and stick straight up which I’ve been told by breeder and vet was genetics. However they were nice and floppy when she was a puppy til about 4-5 months old
She is full blooded with papers

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
She is very small. 45 lbs is equivalent to 20.5 kg. My Chloe is a very small Labrador at 23 kg (51 lbs.) Looking at the middle photo her ears look very Border Collie'ish, whats known as "Semi Pricked."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is very small. 45 lbs is equivalent to 20.5 kg. My Chloe is a very small Labrador at 23 kg (51 lbs.) Looking at the middle photo her ears look very Border Collie'ish, whats known as "Semi Pricked."
I’ve been told she looks like all kinds of breeds lol she is 100% Labrador retriever tho just a strange one! I’m hoping she’ll get bigger but I’m not sure how lab growth works as she’s my first lab, I know it can take German shepherds up to 3 years to reach full grown

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Winter coats are normally a bit darker, but the difference tends to appear greater because the coat gets to a certain extent bleached by the sun in summer.

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
Is she registered? She’s very very small/light for a pedigree lab. My smallest/lightest is 26k my biggest is 42k. I’d say she doesn’t look 100% lab so it’s be interesting to know her pedigree. I’d say they reach full height at around 12-18 months. Females reach full growth earlier than males in my experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is she registered? She’s very very small/light for a pedigree lab. My smallest/lightest is 26k my biggest is 42k. I’d say she doesn’t look 100% lab so it’s be interesting to know her pedigree. I’d say they reach full height at around 12-18 months. Females reach full growth earlier than males in my experience.
She is registered through akc as are her parents, she’s also been dna tested by me cause I thought she was mixed she’s 100% lab

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Her ears are definitely not typical of a Labrador, unfortunately, DNA tests are not really that accurate, unless you DNA profile both the parents and her, then you're unlikely to get an accurate result. She's on the small side, although I do think some people over estimate how big Labradors should be, I actually have a couple of marks on a wall to measure mine up against and (not being a tall person) they are just above my knee, so not hugely tall for the ideal height of a bitch (I have the lower and upper limits for the UK KC breed standard).

As for weight, I prefer to see them kept leaner as they are growing, puts lets strain on their developing joints. I have seen folk with smaller Labradors below the 20kg range, but they don't look 'typical' of a Labrador. One gamekeeper bred bitch definitely looked like a collie cross, although she wasn't KC registered.

And, although she's pale she's not as pale as I've seen, my old girl has a paler coat colour, it really is just the expression and her ear set that looks very unLabrador.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Her ears are definitely not typical of a Labrador, unfortunately, DNA tests are not really that accurate, unless you DNA profile both the parents and her, then you're unlikely to get an accurate result. She's on the small side, although I do think some people over estimate how big Labradors should be, I actually have a couple of marks on a wall to measure mine up against and (not being a tall person) they are just above my knee, so not hugely tall for the ideal height of a bitch (I have the lower and upper limits for the UK KC breed standard).

As for weight, I prefer to see them kept leaner as they are growing, puts lets strain on their developing joints. I have seen folk with smaller Labradors below the 20kg range, but they don't look 'typical' of a Labrador. One gamekeeper bred bitch definitely looked like a collie cross, although she wasn't KC registered.

And, although she's pale she's not as pale as I've seen, my old girl has a paler coat colour, it really is just the expression and her ear set that looks very unLabrador.
Her ears are the only thing that throw anyone off I’ve actually held them floppy and she looks like a perfect lab lol but she is a registered lab I have met both parents and seen there papers as well think I just ended up with a weird one

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Her ears are the only thing that throw anyone off I’ve actually held them floppy and she looks like a perfect lab lol but she is a registered lab I have met both parents and seen there papers as well think I just ended up with a weird one

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Brown Dog Comfort Liver Carnivore

This is my old girl (she's 15 here and still plodding about for her daily walks up round the fields) who has a fairly pale coat. This is actually as dark as she gets, she bleaches paler to the point where she's almost yellow but she's obviously not.

It's difficult to tell shape wise, obviously the ears are pretty distinct, but it's hard to see her shape/size from the photos posted. Not the clearest, but this is a photo of Tau (above) her daughter Zasa who is slightly smaller but correct to the breed standard (Tau is actually slightly too tall) and then Branta next to the log burner, who is Zasa's daughter and just a touch taller than her mum, but still correct height wise, hopefully you can get an idea of their sizes.

Light Dog Comfort Dog breed Wood

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Gun dog Liver

Not the best photo, but this is Branta stood at approx 18 months of age, she is taking a while to fill out and mature, which is very much like her Grandma Tau, who finally really filled out aged 3 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 27002

This is my old girl (she's 15 here and still plodding about for her daily walks up round the fields) who has a fairly pale coat. This is actually as dark as she gets, she bleaches paler to the point where she's almost yellow but she's obviously not.

It's difficult to tell shape wise, obviously the ears are pretty distinct, but it's hard to see her shape/size from the photos posted. Not the clearest, but this is a photo of Tau (above) her daughter Zasa who is slightly smaller but correct to the breed standard (Tau is actually slightly too tall) and then Branta next to the log burner, who is Zasa's daughter and just a touch taller than her mum, but still correct height wise, hopefully you can get an idea of their sizes.

View attachment 27003

View attachment 27004

Not the best photo, but this is Branta stood at approx 18 months of age, she is taking a while to fill out and mature, which is very much like her Grandma Tau, who finally really filled out aged 3 years.
Dog Comfort Carnivore Grey Working animal

this is her about 8 months I’ll try to get a better body pic it’s just hard to get her to hold still long enough lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 27002

View attachment 27003

View attachment 27004

Fence Mesh Dog Wire fencing Working animal

Fence Mesh Plant Wire fencing Fawn

Here a couple of her from the side best I could get lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts