Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it should be but it's very bitter sweet :(

OH's job is safe from redundancy. But it's only a month since Betty left us.

Some of you know that Betty's noise, neighbours complaining, landlord serving notice and OH being told of redundancies all snowballed on us in the same week back in November. We couldn't sign a new lease with a fixed term in the crazy-priced area we live in with OH's job at risk.

We were told it was a legal 13 week consultation period yet now have been assured his job is safe :? With the benefit of hindsight we really could have muddled through for a month instead of 3 I'm sure.
Betty is settled in her new working home with other dogs now.

My chin is just about up and it's a new year ahead.
No sympathy needed - we make our own beds....

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
So glad your OH's job is safe, but it must be so bittersweet with Betty settled into her new home for you :(

Hope things settle down for you and you do get the puppy you so want in your own time :D

·
Registered
908 Posts
Im so glad that your OHs job is safe and that Betty is now settled in her new home. Keep your chin up, maybe for whatever reason it just wasnt meant to be??

·
Registered
908 Posts
Im so glad that your OHs job is safe and that Betty is now settled in her new home. Keep your chin up, maybe for whatever reason it just wasnt meant to be??

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sarah they say hindsight is a wonderful thing. You did what you thought was best for Betty at the time, how could you have known how things would turn out. As you say 'chin up' and here's to a better 2009. Great news about your OH's job.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Here's to 2009 Sarah, you have had many changes in the last year and I am sure things will look up for you all now x

I for one will be glad to see the back of 2008 !

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Im glad things are looking up for you now and as everyone else has said it wasnt meant to be there is another pup for you somewhere sometime

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Pleased to hear about your good news/OHs job - but as they say "everything happens for a reason", so I think it just wasn't meant to be with Betty and something else will come along at some point...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
So glad your hubbys job is safe & Bettys happy.

You did what you had to do at the time, if we could all look into the future, life would be so much easier.

Heres to a Happy New 2009 :)

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Don't beat yourself up about what could have been, you didn't have a crystal ball at the time and you made your decisions with the information you had at the time.

Glad Betty has settled in a new home and wishing you and Basil a great 2009. There'll be another puppy or dog out there for you.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Very pleased to hear that your husband's job is safe - hope 2009 is a better year for you!!

Although bittersweet, it is good news that Betty is now settled and happy in her home - don't beat yourself up about it, you make decisions based on the facts as they present at the time - no one has a crystal ball....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, you have all been so kind and supportive.

?

·
0 Posts
So glad to hear OH's job is safe. I don't think anyone knows the stress and uncertainty when fear of redundancy is hanging over your heads, unless they have been there themselves.

As others have said, you don't have a crystal ball, you weren't to know things would pan out this way, so don't go beating yourself up over this.

((((HUGS))))

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think anyone knows the stress and uncertainty when fear of redundancy is hanging over your heads,
We've always thought we were prepared for it and have been there before, but the current climate is pretty bad. Realistically losing a job this time likely means a long long period out of work - possibly even leaving the industry.

We hope to move soon now anyway (did I already say that?) after the hassle with the neighbours it's not 'home' anymore. We just want to get past that fixed period on a new lease while we're in the eye of a storm as there'll likely be more redundancies I would think.
That way if it happens we can be flexible to move home.

We planned to buy not rent on our return to the UK, but I did some sums last night and taking into account buying and selling fees and optimistically assuming a level market (rather than the rapidly falling one we're in) we'd need to be in a home for at least 6 years for it to be a better financial option than renting right now 8O
Which is a shame as I really hate renting :(

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Just caught up here, and I am really glad to hear it is brighter news on the job front. :D

Don't be too hard on yourself about Betty! You did your best, but it just wasn't meant to be. You did what was right at the time, and with the best will in the world none of us can see into the future.

2008 has been a difficult year for many people, and you have gone through more changes than most. Here's to 2009. Lets hope it is a more stable year, and easier on the nerves for most of us. :roll:

Helen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts