Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am after a little advice for my friend. On Thursday her golden lab jumped the garden fence and despite our searching for him in the car and on foot we couldn't find him. Her other half spent until after midnight driving round searching for him and again the next morning around 6am he was out again. The police, local kennels and local radio were all contacted in the afternoon after we couldn't find him.

Anyhow the following morning at 9am (other half had gone to work by then) she contacted the local radio station again, they said that they'd had a message left on their answer machine about a found dog. They gave her the number.

She called the man who said he'd turned up on his doorstep last night (around 3 or 4pm) and he'd bring him back this morning.

When he brought him back she found out that he has a lab bitch in season and he'd used him as a stud overnight after the dog appeared on the doorstep!!! Dawn has been told she can have the pick of the litter - but doesn't know wether to be pleased her dog is home or angry because of what he was used for overnight!! While she didn't sleep all night her dog had been very comfy!

Everyone she knows thinks this was totally out of order, he wasn't to know my friend's dog is fit and healthy and it was irresponsible to risk mating your dog to one that you know nothing about!!

We are now telling her that she has the upper hand. This man will only have told them about using him as a stud because he will want her dog's papers to sell the puppies.

What would people suggest she does?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would take the man to court for doing something with the dog without permission and test the dog for Brucellose Canina (I don't know how to spell in English). It is clear that he only looked after the dog for his own interest. Regards,

Labrazil.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
mmm....

Well the first and most important thing for her to do is raise the height of her fences and ensure that her garden is secure.

Next thing would be to persuade the bitches owner to take his dog to the vet for a mismate injection - possibly even offer to contribute to the cost.

I'm assuming no tests have been done, so I would explain the possibility of inherited illnesses (if he didn't want to know, I might be tempted to say the dog had HD - even if it wasn't true 8O ) Also, are there any endorsements his papers?

As far as using the dog's papers, and she is under no obligation to agree to, using them would be fraudulent anyway. Even if there was a mating (and whose to say that this man hasn't used another dog without papers?!?) as your friend did not witness the mating, she cannot honestly sign the papers to say the mating took place.

Regards
Jenny

PS - Why did the man phone the radio station first - did he not have any ID on?

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
wow what a cheek

and obvisouly he has no regard at all for his bitch for him to mate her with a stray dog he found on his doorstep as lablover and labrzil said the dog either dog could of had a disease and the pups would of been infected this way...

i would report him to the rspca

and yep sort out the height of your fence if you cant afford new fencing put trelis all along the top of it :p

take your dog the vet for a check over im glad you got him back

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dog been used in that way i would indeed recommend you Report him to the Rspca and also get a larger fence sorted out
hope the Vet gives him a clean bill of health to make sure he hasnt caught anything

im also breeding Suzy but i made sure she had a hip score eyes and knuckle joints and used a proper stud farm
Tracy xx

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sadly I can't imagine that the RSPCA would be interested in this case. And even though this man's actions are despicable, I suspect if you tried to follow the legal route, because the dog got out of your friend's property and was roaming I don't think your friend will have any comeback. If the dog was stolen from your garden, that would be different, but then you'd have to prove that he was taken and didn't escape.

I think the best thing is to make the garden secure and put it down to experience. I would have nothing more to do with this man.

Tracy
Did you have her eyes tested too?

regards
Jenny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts