Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have just joined this site and would like to say how informative it is. I have a 6 mth old Yellow Lab Puppy called 'Bo'. We took her to vets 3 weeks ago because she had been limping quite badly for a little while. Vet put her on Metecam for a week but made no difference. She was knocked out and had xrays taken, they came back normal but vet still couldn't rule out OCD. He put Bo on 4 Glucosamine injections (1 week apart for each) and at this present time we have just finished the 3rd one. Next week we have to have last injection and perhaps further xrays. I am really concerned about the prognosis and future for Bo.
Having gone into purchasing our puppy with as much information as possible including low hip scores etc researching for good breeder I feel extremely upset at the prospect of this and not having a bitch we will be able to breed from etc. I am trying not to jump the gun, we love Bo to bits and would not swap our little princess for anything. Has anyone got any advice for me. Thanks guys Jax

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i dont know much about ocd im afraid infact i dont think i know what it is...but i see you wanted to breed from her..

1. did the person you got her from say she was good for breeding? as some dogs are just sold purley for family pets due to them knowing the dog would not be good breeding stock so to speak.

2 can you not get back in touch with the breeder and explain what is going on and see what they suggest?

im sorry i cant be of any help but as for the breeding part also if you phone the person that sold you bo ask them if she is good for breeding :)

hope she gets better soon

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Bojengles,welcome to the site,you will definatley not be short of good info and advice here there are some very knowledgable people here,anyway dylan has ocd,he is 16 months and has bilateral elbow dysplasia,like you we are gutted,dylan has arthritis and was operated on one elbow about 8weeks ago,they can do great work these days,our orthopedic surgeon is fantastic,so if you want to post some more info about bo,both myself and cristina who has benson ,who also has ocd will give you all the help we can.Lynne.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Like lynne said if you post some more info about bo we will try to answer some of you concerns. I like Lynne have a dog with OCD, My pup is only 7mths old and we were upset to hear he had this condition, we did everything you did ( good breeder etc) but you have to remember that they still don't know what causes ocd and it could be nothing to do with the breeding. Ben started out with a limp which got worse so we took him to the vets, they did xrays and it showed that he had ocd in the right elbow, 3 days later he had surgery to the joint and removed a piece of bone which had detached from the joint. Ben is now recovering and doing well, the vet said he should in time make a full recovery only he will get arthritus around 6yrs old. It is more common in male dogs of a large breed, especially labradors as they grow alot in a short space of time. Let us know how you get on. :D

Cristina & Benson

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,
Thanks so much for your posts, it's definitely reassuring to have support from people who are going through or have experienced the same as you.
My little princess has not limped as bad for the past 2 days and I have my fingers, toes, legs you name it crossed that things will continue to improve for Bo. :wink:
What food do you have your dogs on? Another thing that crossed my mind is, have I been too generous on the food line and she has grown too quickly! Bo is on Purina large puppy food and I have followed the measurements according to her age and weight. She looks so fit and in lovely condition.
It's like having a baby all over again, you can't help worrying! :?
Once again thanks guys and I will definitely keep in touch and let you know any further developments. xx Jax

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi bojengles,glad to hear bo's limp is not so bad to-day,dylan limps quite badly but who knows maybe one day it may be not be so noticeable,dog food and dylan dont go to-gether unfortunatley,i tried dylan on purina amongst loads of other dog foods but he is so sensetive they either make him ill both ends or he gets very hyper and destructive and throws himself around the house like an idiot,but i am lucky not to have to go out to work so i can watch him and his behaviour,is bo your first lab?you will have to watch those pleading eyes as if bo has ocd overfeeding is not a good idea,dylan is on fish eggs mince chicken and stewing steak he is not a greedy boy unlike my other boys were so i have no problem with his weight, did your vet say they would refer you to a surgeon so that the x-rays can be read properly? dylan has arthritis in both elbows and has had one op to remove a fragment of bone which had started to re grow and has done major damage he will have to have a second op sooner or later,i hope bo is insured as dylans op was £1600,it is very frustrating when you think you have got the right dog and suddenly you find you may have a problem,dylan has a fantastic pedigree but ocd is just one of those things,but it is hard work dealing with it as cristina will tell you too.please let us know what your vet says on the next visit and we are here to help if you need us take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bo's mum here :)
Well we had our last injection on Tuesday (after an awful lot of wriggling!) at one point I thought the vet was going to inject me!! :shock:
We are booked in to see the orthopaedic vet in 2 weeks time and he will make an assessment then. Well thats all up to now. Bo's lying snoring in the lounge and I have the children to sort for bed so I will say bye for now, take care. Jax

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Fingers cross for the trip to the vets in a couple of weeks time :D Let me and Lynne know how you get on. Goodluck :D

Cristina

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi, can't really add much of any use but just to say that I know how much you must be worrying about Bo. Our third guide dog puppy had to be taken out of training due to a diagnosis of OCD in her front right elbow. It started with limping around 6 months of age and she was x-rayed straight away. Over the next few months she was x-rayed again, but it wasn't until the 4th x-ray when she was spayed that they could diagnosis OCD. By then the damamge had been done to the joint and it was too late to operate. We have now adopted her as a pet and have been warned that she will get arthritis sooner rather than later. She is currently fine and will run around like a looney, but we just have to watch how much free running she gets, I watch her weight carefully and obviously we can't take her to classes like agility. Guide Dogs are incredibly careful about screening their breeding stock and as her puppywalker I was very careful about the amount of exercise and free running she had, as Lynne said OCD just seems to be one of those things. Clare

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Cristina
Just seen your post, I'm guessing that it is in realtion to our rehomed guide dog pup Inca and her OCD (apologies if I've jumped in here inapproriately). Currently she doesn't limp, she started limping at about 6 months of age and it got worse, so bad that during one week I just felt so awful every time she tried to just walk from one room to another. I wanted to carry her - impossible! Then it was on and off until she was about 8 months I guess after which she was fine for a few months. Then when she came into season at a year she was on house confinement so wasn't getting any walks/runs yet her lameness came back, but fingers crossed that was the last time she was lame and that was a year ago now, she'll be two in May. When our own choc Lab and then our next guide dog puppy came up to the 6 month mark I just held my breath and hoped for no lameness as I was so worried about a repeat of Inca's condition.
Did your vet advise you to give Ben any supplements such as chrondroitin or glucosamine? When I adopted Inca I asked and was advised not to give her anything extra, but I often wonder if I should.
Clare

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Clare,

The post was intended for you, sorry! should have put your name on it!! :lol: That is good to hear, about the limping that is. I will send you a pm, so as i don't confuse anyone again!

Cristina

1 - 12 of 12 Posts