Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meg has eaten a sock! I phoned the vet who insisted she should come straight in whereupon she was prescribed porridge and liquid parrafin to try to enable the sock to be passed! Two doses eaten today but still no sock. Help! Has anyone had this worrying experience?

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi meg yes my black lab liberty is very fond of socks does not matter if it is clean or dirty she has eaten several in her four years she passes them about two days later if she had not i would have taken her to the vets hope this helps yours sue

·
Registered
40 Posts
sock eaten

had this happen to our basset hound (twice)
vet said to give him soapy water to make him sick
didnt work ( he loved the soapy water)
sock passed thro in 2 1/2 days
2nd time just let nature run its course and again in a couple
of days it came out ( with a bit of gentle help )
dont no if this is the correct course of action
but we learnt that the dog would only try to swallow the sock if
we paniced and tried to take it away

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you for the replies! We were a tad concerned/worried. I think we'll just wait and see. When the vet mentioned operations to remove the sock it wasn't the best news. Meg is her usual mischevious self so the sock cannot be doing much harm!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Edie has eaten a sock. It sounds really irresponsible of me so I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I hadn't even realized she'd eaten it until she brought it back up. She did bring it up on her own though. I think there's a valid concern about things like that causing and obstruction in the intestines so I can see why you're worried. If Meg seems active and drinking and eating and going potty alright, hopefully she'll get it out one way or another in the next day or two. If it takes longer than that or she seems at all out of sorts I think I'd check back with the vet though. I hope everything goes alright. Please let us know how you guys are doing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Meg
This isn't a particularly unusual thing to happen, and most of the time it will either pass through, or the dog will vomit it up - and you obviously need to do a thorough poo 'inspection' :D .
I don't want to worry you, however, please do keep an eye on her. If at any time she tries to vomit but can't, becomes lethargic and doesn't seem herself please take her to the vets, because they can get lodged and cause an obstruction and this can be life threatening.
As I said, don't panic, most of the time they eventually come out from one end or the other, but do keep an eye on her until such time as it reappears
HTH :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a brief update to all of you who were kind enough to reply. Meg is on day two of her porridge and liquid parrifin diet and everything seems normal - except no sock yet! Here's hoping for a production soon! She is just her usual cheerful self and thinks all her birthdays have come at once being fed three times a day!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 8-month-old Max has eaten numerous pairs of my underwear, which I didn't notice until he passed them. If he's not vomiting or having bad diahrrea, I imagine your pup will soon pass the socks on his own.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi There,

Sorry to hear about Meg eating a sock, must have got you a little worried. How is she doing today? Any sign of the sock?

Hope she's doing ok,

Julie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meg still hasn't passed the sock! We now think she may have either passed it when we weren't looking or digested it! In any case, she's still on top form and therefore we have no immediate concern for her. Dogs eh!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Meg
Glad to hear she is still fine. She won't have digested it. Please still keep an eye on her. I know one dog that vomitted nearly three weeks after swallowing a sock, and because of the risk of obstruction, it is important to check her poos, to ensure that is does come out.
HTH :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
My mum's Basset Hound had a large marble in his tummy for quite a few months before it got stuck a bit further down - he eventually went for an op to get it removed. Don't want that to worry you, just that things can hang around inside for a little while before emerging again! He had actually swallowed two marbles, and the other one came out the top end - seems Labs are not the only breed that will swallow anything! :roll:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:D Meg has produced the sock! :D

Thanks to all of you for your help and support. Meg produced the sock last week just before we all left on holidays! Everything is now back to normal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts