Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy Molly is now just over 13 weeks old and is quite nervous when meeting people. If someone she doesn't know speaks to her / stretches out their hand she backs away with her tail tucked down. We have met a few patient people who have been willing to wait and then Molly eventually becomes friendly. She seems fine with other dogs. Today she met a very OTT child who kept trying to grab her and Molly was very scared and ran away. I managed to get between her and the child and she came to me when I called, when I put her on the lead and walked away.

I stated to take her out and about from about 9 weeks old but I must admit she's met very few children. I tend to live a fairly secluded life and there's no need for Molly to become everyone's best chum as she's not likely to be going to crowded places, but I do want her to be reliable (I mean not snapping) with children.

Any suggestions please? (I don't have any friends with young children to invite in.)

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
A couple of ideas I did with Luna was walk her past busy playgrounds, she could see/hear the commotion of children but they couldn't touch her or approach as the children were secured behind a wire fence.
I also used to take her places where people were rushing for appointments or to catch trains/buses or just rushing and I'd sit with her at a cafe or on a bench and just watch.... far less people approached in this situation as they didn't see us through rushing!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea. I read somewhere the idea of taking a puppy to school entrances as children came out, but I think that would be too scary, so your suggestion is useful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts