Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that young labrador's are boisterous and injury prone but I am really worried about Oscar's limp. It's not that pronounced and doesn't seem to bother him but I have noticed it for a couple of days now and can't stop worrying.

It seems to be his left front leg and it's more of a "hobble" than a limp. I only notice it when he is walking slowly but when he walks fast or runs you couldn't tell. I took him to the vet on Friday and he couldn't find anything wrong. He checked is paws, hips and elbows and there was full range of movement and no sign of any pain when being moved. He gave me some Metacam but it hasn't made any difference. Maybe it's early days for it to start working.

The vet said to rest him but even though I am not walking him he is still bounding around. There's no way I can stop him short of locking him in his crate 24 hours a day!!!! He says if it doesn't get better with rest and Metacam he could xray Oscar but wouldn't know where to start as there is no obvious joint to start with.

I'm so worried that it's something serious and worried that Oscar might have to have an anaesthetic to have xrays. It took a long time to get over the loss of our Harry and I have become so attached to Oscar in the short time he has been with us. I couldn't bear it if anything happened to him too.

I know it seems a really minor thing compared to what a lot of people have been through lately but if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Norma

G

·
Norma, how old is Oscar, is he still a pup?

There is a condition in growing pups called Panosteitis, which basically gives them Growing Pains. Often a young dog is lame for a few days on one leg, then on another and the lameness can switch from front to back leg and from side to side virtually overnight. Pano doesn't seem to have any bearing on general joint health and it just seems to go as suddenly as it arrives.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jules, I really hope it is something like that. Oscar is coming up for 6 months. I am worried that it might be osteochondritis but I do have a tendency to fear the worst with him. I couldn't understand how he could be limping but not show any signs of pain or stiffness in any joints. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Norma

1 - 3 of 3 Posts