Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I slept downstairs on an air mattress next to Maya’s crate in the living room the first 4 nights after bringing her home to ease her into her new home and make crate training that bit easier. The crate training is going well and she’s now voluntarily going into her crate for a snooze on some occasions although I haven’t yet cracked all her naps being in there. The crate is inside a playpen which she is happily going into to have play and frozen longs etc in preparation for me having to go back to work 2 days a week. We went “cold turkey’ last night and she was very good with barely a whimper. I toileted her at 3.00am and she was just awake but not whining and back to sleep with minimal protest. The problem is me! I was sleep deprived from the previous 4 nights but last night I was so anxious I didn’t sleep at all and am wondering now how I’m going to get through the next few weeks as hubby is going abroad for work very soon! I could do with words of reassurance if anyone has any! She’s doing really well but her puppy mum isn’t ...

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Oh it's normal, and trust me it could be worse, if you've got a litter of pups on the ground you don't sleep before they're born, are then sticking your hands where the sun doesn't shine and get covered in all sorts of gunk, and then afterwards you daren't sleep hardly in case mum is clumsy. I tend to sleep next to the whelping box for about 2-3 weeks on a couple of cushions, just curled up and on alert, and that's with a full time job as well (very understanding boss). When pups are old enough to be sure they're at less risk of mum squashing them it's a blessed relief and you can finally have a proper deep sleep. It gets better as you go on with them, and, of course, they don't hare a care in the world with having us at their beck and woof!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I slept downstairs on an air mattress next to Maya’s crate in the living room the first 4 nights after bringing her home to ease her into her new home and make crate training that bit easier. The crate training is going well and she’s now voluntarily going into her crate for a snooze on some occasions although I haven’t yet cracked all her naps being in there. The crate is inside a playpen which she is happily going into to have play and frozen longs etc in preparation for me having to go back to work 2 days a week. We went “cold turkey’ last night and she was very good with barely a whimper. I toileted her at 3.00am and she was just awake but not whining and back to sleep with minimal protest. The problem is me! I was sleep deprived from the previous 4 nights but last night I was so anxious I didn’t sleep at all and am wondering now how I’m going to get through the next few weeks as hubby is going abroad for work very soon! I could do with words of reassurance if anyone has any! She’s doing really well but her puppy mum isn’t ...
Oh I know exactly how you are feeling! Jas is 6 months now has slept right through the night for ages but does wake up very early due to light mornings, plus I wake up alot during the night finding myself listening for her snoring (our walls are paper thin) you are doing great, these pups are precious and its natural to be a bit anxious. All will be well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all. Tarrimor I don’t know how you manage when you have a litter. I think I’d go round the twist from that level of sleep deprivation! I’m hoping that we can get a couple of reasonable nights under our belts and then I’ll start to relax about it. The problem is mine rather than Maya’s so I need to have a chat with myself.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Thank you all. Tarrimor I don’t know how you manage when you have a litter. I think I’d go round the twist from that level of sleep deprivation! I’m hoping that we can get a couple of reasonable nights under our belts and then I’ll start to relax about it. The problem is mine rather than Maya’s so I need to have a chat with myself.
Thankfully I have a few trusty friends who help out, although one is now scarred for life after seeing me 'assist' with a delivery. The last litter I had Zasa had 11 pups and only has 9 teats, so we were topping pups up from day 1 and the pups were pretty chunky as well. All 11 thrived and will be 2 years old in July, this was them with mum in 2019.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankfully I have a few trusty friends who help out, although one is now scarred for life after seeing me 'assist' with a delivery. The last litter I had Zasa had 11 pups and only has 9 teats, so we were topping pups up from day 1 and the pups were pretty chunky as well. All 11 thrived and will be 2 years old in July, this was them with mum in 2019.

View attachment 26813
That is a gorgeous photo. I can’t begin to think about the work involved in hand feeding as well. My first lab came from a friend who bred them and her bitch had 11 pups and then contracted mastitis. My friend and her family were hand feeding and said it was incredibly difficult. I’m glad there are people like you who are prepared to do that level of heavy lifting so that people like me can have such beautiful animals

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh how I sympathise with you! Every time I get a new puppy I decided I must be mad and swear it's the last time! :)
I recall saying that when we lost Tia. Funnily enough I’ve said it a few times since Maya came. I’m counting on not having to think about it for a good long time😃

1 - 8 of 8 Posts