Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... 'You scare me the way you fire that dummy launcher. I swear you are going to take half your face off one day...'

And, here I am, just three short days later. Typing this slowly with my left hand, having not managed to destroy half my FACE, but having managed to basically entirely muller my right HAND.

Andy (Funkymonkey) and I were training with a friend, Jason, on Weds and for various reasons my own launcher (with shoulder stock which i handle in an effortless and safe way!) was abandoned by a hedge and I proceeded to fire off Andys whizz bang handheld launcher with zero kickback (god knows how, its American, that must be what it is....)

However my general awkwardness caused great alarm and dismay. Even when corrected I still forgot from time to time and whamed it out right between my eyes...

So fast forward to last night. A wonderful walked up training session on private land with cold game, bumper boys and launchers. Foolishly and without Allans knowledge (who was firing off his shotgun with adaptors and having a generally wonderful time) the guy organising it gave me a handheld launcher to ping out 'just now and then Di'.... I awaited my big moment.

Now I've fired a launcher a time or two ;-) But I never seem to get it right without a stock. Luckily my old launcher before I got the stock lacked an O ring and so had all the power of a wet sock being thrown by a 5 year old. Unlike this fierce and fearsome creature.

BANG! I pinged one out behind. Then the world seemed to centre on my right hand. I honestly thought i'd blown it off. I'm not sure I've had pain like it not just in my hand but up my arm. I doubled over with my hand between my legs and just stayed still hoping I might die on the spot to save me the trouble of having to kill myself.

After a full meeting of the engineer types at the session they decided I'd held it the RIGHT way (so back to front with my thumb nearest my body and my elbow facing outwards if you know what i mean) but had been holding it well down the handle, and so the force threw the launcher back in my hand smashing into my wrist and palm. Lovely.

I'm not really a wimp. But you know when something hurts so much you start to sway and everything happens from a distance? A friend came rushing over and tried to get my hand from between my knees but I was kind of scared what i wouldl see! Luckily it WAS still there. Well, a few minutes and a lot of kind comments from everyone but Al who simply chuckled and said 'Oh dear, thats your wine glass hand... and its a friday night.... I bet you are devestated!' Before him and Jade skipped off to have a pot shot at some more pidgeons. Nice. Men!

I knew it wasn't broken as my friend massaged it and forced me to move all my fingers and as the heat and bruise started to appear I decided I couldn't hold things up any longer so we carried on and Mallie was a dear girl, behaving well for her crippled mother.

I couldn't straighten it and the throbbing added an element to the training that made me probably lack a little something in 'staying sharp!' department, and of course, another hours worth of handling probably didn't exactly do it any good.

But I am pleasantly floating on ultra strong painkillers today and planning how to teach myself to drink in a vaguely adult manner with my wine glass in my LEFT hand tonight!

Note to self. Leave handheld launchers ALONE. I only mentioned to a forum member yesterday I would probably be dead in minutes if I even tried to load a bumper boy. I've now had to pull from the Open Test I was running in today and it pretty much serves me right! ;-)

Di

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Now thats the most elaborate excuse I've heard for getting out of a test! :wink: Now "Get A Grip" (albeit with your left hand if you must) you southern softie :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O Blimey Di are you mad woman!!!

I never go near the operating end of the blinkin things. Its one of the very few things I am happy to admit are best left in the capable hands of men :wink: :D .

Hope the hand recovers soon. Believe me (I broke my wrist once and it was a bad break and took three months to mend) you can just about do everything with your left hand - the hardest thing is pulling your knickers up :wink:

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rach, its a good job I am typing with my left hand and therefore some keys are harder to reach than others or I'd reply to that.... ;-) ;-)

Jill - good plan. I subscribe to your club from this minute onwards. No more handheld launchers. Not ever. Full stop. No exceptions. Stocks only. Or left entirely to burly men.

Di

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Oh dear Di, good to hear your hand isn`t broken although I`d say its worth a trip to hospital just to be sure, lots of bones in a hand.

I`m sure you`ll come to terms with having to drink using your left hand :D

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Seriously, I agree with Mary, I would have your hand checked out just in case. If there is an injury and its not identified and sorted straight away it could lead to problems long-term. x

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
oh no Di - sounds nasty. Hope you're doing the failsafe ice & arnica approaches too as they will help with the bruising!!!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I might. I kind of needed the push because Al is like 'oh stop your moaning...' ;-) Well maybe not quite.... but not far off ;-) Hes the sort that would need to break both legs and his neck to take an asprin.

Hate clogging up the NHS when its my own stupid damn fault. But might have to.

D x

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Diana said:
Hate clogging up the NHS when its my own stupid damn fault. But might have to.

D x
Most things people go to A&E for are their own fault Di but always best to be safe than sorry, you don`t want to find there`s a problem later when its too late to fix it properly :)

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys ;-) Managing with tea so can't see how can't translate this to wine later ;-)

Going to see how it goes for a bit then trek off down to A&E if the throbbing doesn't ease when the painkillers ease off.
Di x

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Blimey Di, what are you like! 8O

I do agree that you should get it checked out at A&E to be on the safe side.

G

·
you twonk! I did my arm in last year when i did a flip over someones back while dancing and landed funny (upside down on one hand) i also refused to go to a&e, eventually my friend yanked it until it made a very loud crack and suddenly was fine! I now get really bad pain go it if i type for too long, so seriously, get it checked! Oh and ps, love the song in your signature

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
8O 8O OMG that sounds a big bit sore :( You would be best going to A&E to get your hand checked out anyway :? Hope its OK :) Maybe even just need some strapping :?

G

·
Ouch!!! 8O

Have you got a Minor Injuries Unit near you, as it might be quicker going there than to A&E? Definitely sounds like you've done "something" to it...and if it had a cast on you might get more sympathy from Al. :wink:

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
well first of all di (prepares to suck up to teacher big style :wink: ) you poor poor thing you, i am sending you lots of go away pain vibes and would be more than happy to hold your wine glass for you,

zak also sends gentle licks to the effected area and hopes that it wont stop you giving him a gentle pat on the head next saturday when he is sure to surpass himself in the humiliate your mum stakes,

and my OH suggested you use a straw for your wine, one of those long flexible jobbies where you can put it straight into the bottle leave the bottle on the floor at the side of the chair and just drink till it runs out ,
personally i thought it a great idea and am thinking of getting a straw like that for myself :wink:

sheila and zak

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
OUCH Di!! that must be Sore!! 8O

A trip to A&E can sometimes be quite illuminating if you are into people watchin!! :) Hope it gets more comfortable soon.

Marianne

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
OMG Hun, sounds horrendous. Get better vibes winging their way to your hand. Definitely get it properly checked out.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Ooooh ouch!!! That sounds really painful!!

I'm also in the "go get it seen to" camp, hopefully it is just really bad bruising but there's loads of ickle bones in a hand/wrist which could have taken the brunt...

Other than that, I prescribe ice packs for swelling, and arnica for bruising - it'll bring the bruise out in a massive black blotch, but it'll disappear in a couple of days - fantastic stuff! Either in a cream, or you can get homeopathic arnica from Boots (little bitty tablets you put under your tongue)

Sorry you had to pull out of your test!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts