Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We're looking at taking Paddy to a puppy training class :) but there seems to be quite a few to choose from. Our local, very helpful, pet shop gave me one name but I've also looked on the internet and there are 2 other great looking ones, but who can tell?
How do I choose? What should I ask? :?

Can both myself and my husband go, or does it have to be just one of us?

I'd be very grateful for any help, we live in the Stockport area.

Thanks very much!

Kathy

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Kathy

Both myself and Chris go along to the training - it's normally me that does the training and Chris watches from the back! This can be useful as he sees more and is able to fill me in later on what I should have been doing!

I would get in touch with the individual classes (you could email the ones from the Internet) and enquire about their methods. For instance, our class uses the clicker form of training and does not advocate any sort of physical reprimands. They also do not allow choke chains and seem to go for the softly softly, firm but fair and kind approach, which we like.

Any reputable class should also be happy for you to go along and just watch to see if you are happy with the way they run things.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - like the idea of clicker training though.

Thanks for the reply!

After many years of watching Pet Rescue, I always thought the clicker method looked great.

Nice to hear we should both be able to go.

Thanks for the advice, will now hopefully ask appropriate question!

Will let you know how it goes, but it won't be until a few weeks as we go away next week for a fortnight.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Kathy
Nicola has already given some good advice.
A good trainer will be happy for you to sit in on a class and observe before committing to the course so you can see their methods in action.
In addition to the ones you already know, you may find something on this list. http://www.apdt.co.uk/list_trainers.asp
Good luck :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts