Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks Coco-Loco!!

This is going to give Luna the chance to work her nose and brain while Tucker is out on his longer walks and she is stuck at home resting!

Both had fun trying it out for the first time this morning:

Instructions: http://thewolfdogblog.com/2015/11/08/snuffle-time/
I would just HIGHLY recommend using plain fleece! I used fluffy fleece and some old towels as well as plain fleece and have little bits of fabric all over thr house now!!!

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Well done Laura, you've been busy. I ran out of fleece after doing half the mat so mine only have a small one but they love it. They are pretty good at finding the food too and what they don't find is easily shaken out afterwards. Even Griffin who is a bit nose-blind seems to do well at finding food. I can't let my two have it together though because Coco backs off to let Griffin do it all.

Reactions: Luna-Tuck

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I think Judy would just tear the thing to pieces!!!

What surprised me was the Stoke v West Brom commentary!!! Don't tell me Tucker is a Baggie and Luna a Stokey!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I thought my two would rip it apart but they haven't. They have been really good with it.

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh dear goodness! Luna and Tucker are both dyed through the bone Forest fans I'm afraid!

TV was just 'on'!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Laura, I am very jealous of your fabulous creation! I saw Coco-loco's post too but have been distracted with going back to work blues and not had the time! How long did it take you to make?

Looks great!

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It probably took about 5-6hours.
Cutting the fabric was the most time consuming and hand aching part.
I stuck a couple of films on and just got it done!

Reactions: Katelou1980

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Home bargains have honeycomb mats for £1.99.

·
Registered
755 Posts
That is so cool! What a great idea.
Have I got the patience to make one, hmmmmmm.

I think there must a gap in the market for getting these premade :)

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I found a video on the www showing a kit that came with pre-cut fleece. It just had to be knotted through the holes then. They probably cost about £10 to make if you buy everything new so to buy a ready made one would have to be around £20 with the amount of time that goes into it.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It would be a great idea for my two except:

I would make it from red, white and blue fleece. George would chew the fleece into little chunks. Alfie would eat the fleece chunks and poop out a Union Jack on a walk.

He has done that before, except it was on of my Union Jack socks from Next.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Awesome Pawsome!!! 😀
This is a modern version of a PODGED RUG!!! 😀 (Sorry can't explain, just google it 😎 )
I'm sure you could make a "muddy paws" door mat or maybe a luxury crate mat with podging??? 🐾 😎

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Never heard of podging but it did make me think of old fashioned rag rugs which I think have made a bit of a comeback recently.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Never heard of podging but it did make me think of old fashioned rag rugs which I think have made a bit of a comeback recently.
In the "Black Country" they are called podged rugs, when I was 'icle, my best friends Nan had them 😀 . Nan lived in an old cottage (possibly a "nailers cottage) with an outside wash-house and also a pig sty with two pigs!!! 😀
This is Happy Memories for me - - - from 60 years ago!!!! ❤

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have finally gotten round to buying some fleece blankets and a mat, will make a start tomorrow as stupidly left the mat at work on Friday!

Can I ask what length you cut the fleece pieces? :)

Ignore that just got it from the link you posted :)

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had to take apart the above mat and throw away the rags and start again with fleece blanket because the old towels and fluffy fleece I used caused little bits of fabric to form that got snuffled up noses!!

It now looks like this and is being very successfully used :D

Attachments

Reactions: ttfan1978

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I had to take apart the above mat and throw away the rags and start again with fleece blanket because the old towels and fluffy fleece I used caused little bits of fabric to form that got snuffled up noses!!

It now looks like this and is being very successfully used :D
I sat for an hour tonight and cut the blankets up so just need to remember to bring the mat home from my work tomorrow :)

Cola had to join in when I was cutting the strips :)

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine has got 3 cheap blankets chopped up in it now. I took out the thread edging the blanket too so that there was no tooth flossing possible! The chopping is the boring part, the knotting is more interesting and the snuffling the best bit! I use it instead of a Kong for luna sometimes now. :)

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I had a couple of helpers too when I did mine!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts