Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.

Just a quick query about people's methods of dealing with their puppy's snappy, bitey, barking stage.

Maisie has recently started doing her growling, snapping thing, which I've read is a perfectly normal stage for a puppy, but what is the best way of dealing with her? We can simply be sitting down watching TV when Maisie lunges up at us and starts snapping. When we address her she steps back and barks and snaps and when we stand up she usually legs it under the table. When we can we get hold of her we keep her still until she calms down but this isn't always effective. she'll squirm and whinge and then as soon as we let her back up she sulks only to come back a few minutes later to repeat the process.

I've read that this is a perfectly normal stage for a puppy but we want to address is properly so there's no repercussions later on.

Apart from that she's grand. We took her up to Scotland a couple of weeks ago, 6 hours in the car and she slept the entire journey both ways. She also got to run around my parent's substantially sized garden for a few days and get doted on by them.

Anyway, here's a few photos because I know it's the done thing!

G

·
I'm really lucky now, in that my older dogs play with the pup when it is in a mischevious mood but I do remember all too well when it was left up to me to "entertain" the little monkeys :wink: .

Basically, she is bored, so is trying to entice you into a game of chase, tuggies, rough and tumble, anything....just as she would do her littermates, or in my case my other dogs. One thing I learnt with children which I do feel applies to dogs too, is "The Devil makes work for Idle Hands"....and bored puppies cause an assortment of mischief and they find an array of ways to get your attention :wink:.

If she has a regular time "Mad" session, then try to do a little training with her just before she would normally kick off. It doesn't have to be anything special but just get her using her brain. If you don't have time for this, perhaps give her something to DO instead....put a few bikkies in a Treat Ball or give her a frozen filled Kong...anything really where she has to use her brain to work out how to get the food out. If it is nice outside, then sprinkle a little of her kibble on the lawn (rice krispies work well for this one too) so she has to hunt for the bits.

Once she has worn her brain out, she is much more likely to settle and you should slowly find the snappy/bitey games decrease in frequency.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for asking this question - I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, we call this Solo's Croc-Snap!

Hi Pickle *waves* from Solo!

·
Registered
350 Posts
what a lovely looking dog, i was admiring how sharp the pictures were, would i be permitted to ask what camera you used please.

hope you didnt mind me asking

thanks

all the best

gary

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Gorgeous photos, Maisie looks adorable.

I think Jules has said it all. Pups aren't interested in the tv and the minute you all sit down, pup thinks hey, I want to play. They look like they could do with some 'fun'.

It is a stage that passes but can be very trying. Raw hyde chewies are quite useful too. She'll grow out of it and turn into a lovely dog I'm sure.

Yvonne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts