Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How do everyone,

We are about to get a female yellow lab puppy in a few weeks time.
We are very confused about the size of the crate we should buy.
I have been told by different people saying small, large etc.

I was thinking of getting a small one to begin with and then buying
a larger one as the puppy gets bigger.

Just found this wonderful lab site we are in so I thought I would ask
the experts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Having been through this recently I would say get a large one and section it off when puppy is young. We got a small one and upgraded but they grow so fast, it's an expensive way of doing it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
bld said:
Having been through this recently I would say get a large one and section it off when puppy is young. We got a small one and upgraded but they grow so fast, it's an expensive way of doing it!
What size would you recommend as I am just looking around for one as we speak. I am confused to the best size that will suit.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I bought a 42 inch crate.... didn't bother sectioning and had no problems. Puppy number 2 has now just finished using it (fingers crossed) and its still in good condition! :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
we got 42" off e-bay never sectioned it off just put bed in one end and quite often she would and still does at 9 months lie on metal floor.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
42" and either section it off or put paper at the door - whatever way you want to proceed. No sense paying out more than you need AND having the storage of the small crate to cope with. We put the baby bedding in a cardboard box at one end then lined the rest with paper and he had GREAT fun ripping up the box (and several more - prime your local shop to keep some for you). And of course he pooped on the paper if we didn't get there in time but soon outgrew that. I think we stopped the paper when it was more of a paper fest than a poop place!

We had a 42" for Megan then started puppy walking for Guide Dogs for the Blind - they insist on providing their own crate which is slightly smaller. Now Mitch is such a big lad at 5 months we've gone over to the larger crate (only difference is 2" longer) but it DOES make a difference when he stretches out 8O

My only problem now is - when to de-crate? He sleeps fine on a soft bed outside the crate in the daytime but when do I trust him at night? - I feel another thread coming on...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Go for 42". We were lent a 32" and Poppy is now 14 weeks and when she stretches out, she nearly goes end to end. I shall buy a 42" within the month I think which will mean she will have only used the smaller one for 8 or 9 weeks.

Poppy loves her crate, and I love knowing that she won't be destroying anything if I go out :D

?

·
0 Posts
Unless you are going to have more pups (or other critters that need a crate) then you might as well get a bigger one and just section it off to start with.

I wouldn't be tempted to put paper or pads at one end and the bed at the other though, as a few people here have had real problems after doing that, with their pup thinking they have to toilet inside the crate, to the extent that they run in from the garden to "Go" in the crate. Not what you want really. :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks for all your replies.

I think as many of you suggested I will buy the 42" one and
section it off.

Again many thanks.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts